Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tranny and engine swap questions...."1990 caprice classic"th400 vs 67' muncie 4 speed

i just got a caprice with a 305, the engine is a tbi 305vortec and a T.H. 400 transmission. Meanwhile i noticed that i`m gonna have to buy a combination universal jointi was also wondering, is there anywhere that i could get dimensions of either tranny wondering if i couldn`t usemy old driveshaft or will i have to use the one from the caprice? any pointers are welcome. thnx.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
The Vortec engines weren't out in 1990. It probably has centerbolt valve covers but it probably doesn't have Vortec heads. Also, a quick search found that those cars had 200-4Rs or 4L60 transmissions, no T400s. Is there an option list somewhere in the car that gives a transmission code? Is the car a Police Package?

What vehicle are you thinking about swapping the parts into? You didn't mention that part...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
305 Tbi

it is an out of service taxi. i`m taking the ole inline 6 out and wiring up this tbi 305. it runs better than the inline six.
that`s for sure. i have a couple things on the board that i could do.
A. 305 with 200-4 auto.
B.305 with muncie 4 speed

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
305 swap into a '74 chevy truck

i`ve started to take loose all of the under dash wiring.this car has a *sim* system . i have no clue about what this sim system does. and seeing as how this is the place to come for advise. What is a Sim system in a 1990 chevy caprice classic. and what all of the computer system do i need for the transmission. ? there are 2 out board access modules , one is located under the steering column This is the (ecm)engine control module.. The other one is a larger module no clue what it is for yet havn`t traced the wires . I`m guessing it is the spark control module; it`s located in the frnt. passenger foot well.

i was working in a typewriter style taking it all loose. this is when i noticed the location where the sim is located infront of the driver windshield. any know exactly what components i need to hook this up . Or has done this.?

my inline six has seen better days
and i wanna try a 305. i may upgrade to a 350 with the TBI.
I`ve done some reasearch and all i would have to change out would be the injectors aftermarket fuel pressure regulator , 350 knock sensor. . but for now the 305 with an automatic that`s a plus also. i`ve been running into a lot of stop and go traffic. Any help or even ideas are welcome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.