Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am having my th350 rebuilt and I want to put a cooler on it the tranny is going back in a 81 chevy c10 what kind of hoses or lines do i need to hook it up can I run high presser hoses with hose barbs and clamp or do i need to find some steel lines and run it that way.

also I am putting a new radiator in the truck and was wanting to know since I am running a cooler do I need to get a radiator with the trans cooler in it or can i get the one with out it.

I plan on putting a flex fan in it also and put the trans cooler in front of the radiator that should be good with all the air flow right?

thanks for all the help

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
It's best to run the fluid thru the radiator cooler then external cooler. Water cools 80-100 times better than air. Many trans coolers come with the fittings to adapt it. Use the least amount of rubber line possible and don't use fuel hose. Stacked plate type coolers are more effecient than tube & fine type.

·
AKA Lee in KC
527 Posts
Well, here's a little different perspective. Living down south as you do, you don't need to heat up your tranny fluid, so there is no advantage to running it through your radiator. A stand-alone cooler will work fine for you. The cooler circuit is low pressure, so hoses and clamps will be fine.

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
campracing said:
OK I am having my th350 rebuilt and I want to put a cooler on it the tranny is going back in a 81 chevy c10 what kind of hoses or lines do i need to hook it up can I run high presser hoses with hose barbs and clamp or do i need to find some steel lines and run it that way.

also I am putting a new radiator in the truck and was wanting to know since I am running a cooler do I need to get a radiator with the trans cooler in it or can i get the one with out it.

I plan on putting a flex fan in it also and put the trans cooler in front of the radiator that should be good with all the air flow right?

thanks for all the help
i recommend a tru-cool tied in like ssedan mentioned. it comes with all the rubber trans line, hose clamps, and brackets with hardware.
running it through the radiator with the auxiliary cooler like ssedan mentioned provides a more stable temp on the trans (unlike bypassing the radiator, and driving around in stop and go traffic, the lack of air coming through the fins is not going to be adequate cooling), and can also lower the engine temp a bit (my engine temp went down 5* after installing my trans cooler on my DD.)
if your using this vehicle for mostly freeway driving, i dont see a problem with bypassing the radiator, but if a lot of driving is done in town, i would run through the radiator for a more consistent, regulated temp.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
Use the lines the cooler manf. sends with the cooler. If none is provided, find the strongest hose or braided line you can find. A fluid leak that finds the headers or exaust system is like squirting gas on a fire!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
You can buy Hayden transmission cooler hose in an installation package at most parts stores, or many places sell transmission/oil cooler hose in bulk. Use as much metal line as possible, and short sections of rubber hose with clamps to make the interconnects.

Someone else also mentioned the Long Tru-Cool transmission coolers, which are very good quality stacked plate coolers. You can get them in various sizes, and they come with metal mounting brackets and all the lines and fittings you need.

Mount the cooler with metal brackets, not plastic ties through the radiator, and space it at least an inch away from the radiator. This works much better than plastic ties, where you have a metal cooler vibrating against your truck's radiator all the time and eventually causing a leak.

Bruce

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.