Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, do you have a transmission jack and how do you like yours if you do?

Also I think I have seen little brackets or attachements you could add to your floor jack. Any opinions on those? Maybe I could weld something up that would fit my floor jack using some scrap I have or maybe some fresh angle iron. I have some square tubing but don't have any angle iron sitting around. And what flat stuff I do have would not be enough. Should be an easy enough project if it would work well.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I have one like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=39178
I've used it twice, and the only problems I have had (aside from forgetting to grease the threads on the screw) were:

1. It raises the top of a Turbo 350 to ~27" off the ground, & I couldn't get the truck high enough to roll the whole mess under the frame rails, so I had to put the tranny on the jack after both were slid underneath. I now have taller stands & a bigger floor jack.

2. It tends to lean to the side a bit when it's extended, so I had to put a piece of 3/8" plywood under one side to get the trans level enough to align the dowels. This was also fun underneath the truck.:D My carport has a slight slope for drainage, & this might have been a factor.

3. Don't have too much faith in that strap. I thought mine was tight, but it still slid to the side far enough that I thought it was going to take a dive. This was probably my fault, but be careful anyway.

I think HF has those on sale right now for $10 or $20 off.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've got the same model and that strap isn't worth ****. My 400 turbo slides all over the place.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts