Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Drive Fast, Take Chances!!
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1986 GMC K1500 with a 350, 700r4, and np 208 transfercase.

After putting the new motor in I have killed my trans.

It slips through all gears, and fluid is very burnt with 3000 miles on fluid/filter

I am thinking of either of having this one rebuilt or getting a new one

If I have this one rebuilt what kit should I have them use, (my dads best friend owns a Chevy Dealership and his tranny guy said he would rebuild it if I wanted to.)

If I get a new one what companies should I stay away from and which ones are really good, I have got a TV made EZ kit from Bowtie Overdrives and It has worked great.

Also what spline output shaft do I need to have in there for the NP 208 transfer case :confused:

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yeah i live in southern vermont and the tranny guy is in the western connecticut a 1.75 hr ride and i set the TV cable up right with the help of the shpo i work at

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i totally agree, I had a tired 305 then i put a 350 .060 over with dual 500 edelbrocks on it. I used to like trying to burn out but the motor didnt have enough behind it and i slipped the trans like crazy(i didnt know better back then) then when i put some snot behind it, it went down hill fast from there

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
k1500_3 said:
So does anyone else have an opinion about what to do idk :confused:

Have the trans properly rebuilt and the TV cable adjusted correctly.

IF you have a strong engine then a performance rebuild would be a good idea. Often the tranny guys at dealerships do not know performance mods to perform on the trans

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.