Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
two cups of tea
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm in the process of having a 350 built&my tranny which is a th 350 was rebuilt not to long ago well next I would like to focus on my rearend which is stock Id like to get a posi&a torque convertor stall&a trans brake now I know little about any of these I can't find a tag anywhere in my trunk.the glove box or diffrental cover with the gears on it.I was told I could swap the guts out to make it posi but how so?&I have no idea how a transbrake works or how to pick a convertor.can anyone suggest a good book about this?.I've been online tonite searching forums I've gotten a little info.But need more I'm not gonna do this today but would like to start in the next month thanx you

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
cutthroatkid said:
Ok so I'm in the process of having a 350 built&my tranny which is a th 350 was rebuilt not to long ago well next I would like to focus on my rearend which is stock Id like to get a posi&a torque convertor stall&a trans brake now I know little about any of these I can't find a tag anywhere in my trunk.the glove box or diffrental cover with the gears on it.I was told I could swap the guts out to make it posi but how so?&I have no idea how a transbrake works or how to pick a convertor.can anyone suggest a good book about this?.I've been online tonite searching forums I've gotten a little info.But need more I'm not gonna do this today but would like to start in the next month thanx you
Believe me, you need good parts if you are running a transbrake. When I built my son's BBC S10, I installed a narrowed large 9" Ford rear with 31 spline axles. It's sitting in the garage now waiting on a R&P set and new axles. The last time we raced it, it snapped the pinion shaft into and twisted the splines of both axles. A transbrake locks 1st & reverse together when engaged so the vehicle will not move. When you get the rpm's up into the power range of the cam and let loose of the button, that's when a shock load is put on the entire drivetrain. I will be putting a set of pro gears in next and some Moser alloy axles.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
cutthroatkid said:
The SPID sticker on the trunk lid may have been painted over. The passenger side axle tube will also have a code for Gear ratio >> http://tech.oldsgmail.com/axle_useage.php or http://www.gnttype.org/numbers/axcodes.html
I'm guessing you have a 7.5" 10-Bolt rear, these are fairly weak rears. I wouldn't recommend a TransBrake or Slicks/Drag Radials. An 8.5" 10-Bolt from a Buick GN, T-Type or Olds 442/HO would be much better, these are a direct bolt in swap but, are pricey & hard to find. A 9" Ford or 12-bolt GM will work also but must be modified or buy one ready to swap in.

ID = 7.5" or 8.5" rear.>> http://dyeager535.topcities.com/diffid.html

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,116 Posts
cutthroatkid said:
Ok so I'm in the process of having a 350 built & my tranny which is a th 350 was rebuilt not to long ago.

well next I would like to focus on my rearend which is stock Id like to get a posi & a torque convertor stall & a trans brake now.

I know little about any of these I can't find a tag anywhere in my trunk the glove box or diffrental cover with the gears on it.

I was told I could swap the guts out to make it posi but how so?

I have no idea how a transbrake works or how to pick a convertor. can anyone suggest a good book about this?. I've been online tonite searching forums I've gotten a little info.

But need more I'm not gonna do this today but would like to start in the next month.

thanx you

Your post is very difficult to read as typed , I spaced out the sentences a bit for my middle aged eyes to read it.

A trans brake transmission must be built for proper use of a trans brake valve body... You need to check with the manufacturer of the trans brake valve body on the correct method to build the transmission for their product.

:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.