Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed a 351W with a T-5 in my '67 Fairlane and have a question for anyone else that's done it. The shifter box extends up above the transmission hump in the floor. I'm wondering how much clearance is required to keep the transmission from torquing over and hitting the floor. I'm ready to lay in my carpets and I think I'm a little close.

Trans Floor Clearance 2.jpg

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,624 Posts
The depends on the engine power and the engine/trans mounts stability. I personally add a little more clearance to make sure you don't have to redo it later.

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,634 Posts
I'd give it at least 1/2" all the way around. Helpful too, if you ever have to pull it...

Russ

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
1/2 to 1" as stated depending on torque and your mounting setup..
If your engine has 2 mounting points and your trans has 2 that 4 point setup is going to rotate less then a 3 point setup.
Limiting straps or limiting (torsion) springs can also limit rotation. Both are band aids where better mounts ae the proper fix.

I had a ranger that I set up for jumping with a 302. That had a front plate, mid plate and 2 transmission mounts (all biscuit) for a total of 6. That engine had next to no noticable rotation and very little vibration.
The tunnel was removable. It sat on 1/4" of rubber on top of the transmission which eliminated any vibration.
You can often slide and secure a piece of rubber over the transmission where it is hitting which will lessen the chance of the bell contacting the tunnel as a temporary fix until you can modify the tunnel or mounts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts