Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have heard that using type F fluid in Gm transmissions causes more positive shifts with no negative effects, I also know some farmers in our area use tractor fluid, (hydraulic oil) in thier gm truck transmissions with no issues, as long as the tractor fluid is rated to be used in wet clutches and wet brake systems. They also claim the tractor fluid keeps the transmission cleaner and cooler. Any trans experts out there that can affirm or dispell this claims?.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
Studebaker said:
I have heard that using type F fluid in Gm transmissions causes more positive shifts with no negative effects, I also know some farmers in our area use tractor fluid, (hydraulic oil) in thier gm truck transmissions with no issues, as long as the tractor fluid is rated to be used in wet clutches and wet brake systems. They also claim the tractor fluid keeps the transmission cleaner and cooler. Any trans experts out there that can affirm or dispell this claims?.

it has been my experience that all that is true , cept I have never seen the firmer shifts between a dexron fluid to a ford F fluid... others claim that firmer shifts with type F fluid happens too.

Some racers use the tractor hydraulic fluid. Trans fluid is hydraulic fluid with color added and a few different additives

:D

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Theoretically F fluid should give firmer shifts. GM uses a fluid that supposedly gets relatively slicker as the clutches slow down, giving Grandma nice smooth shifts. They have larger fluid feed orifices to the clutches to insure quick enough lockup. Ford uses F fluid which has the opposite characteristic- it supposedly gets less slick as the clutches lock up. They use smaller fluid feed orifices to moderate clutch lockup. Assuming all that is true, larger orifices in the GM, coupled with quicker locking type F fluid, should give firmer shifts. I have always used F fluid in my Dual Range hydro. B&M Trick Shift has the same viscosity shear characteristics as F fluid and it is used in everything.

4-Jaw Chuck says he used to package tranny fluid for a supplier and they put the same stuff in every can regardless of specification.

Safest approach is never put anything but F in any tranny.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.