Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
72 Nova, 65 Rambler, 37 Chevy
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a post of this a while back and never got any solid info of whats up.

Heres my problem:

Shifts way too early from full throttle....floored it will shift into 2nd at about 20-30 mph and third comes in soon after.

It wont downshift into first when floored at any speed....sometimes it will downshift into second from third...depending on throttle. Only downshifts when slowing to a near stop.

The kick-down and modulator are hooked up with cable and vacuum.

Now that the transmission is out...I had better fix it. I will pull the Governor out to be modified as suggested. But what to I do about the kick-down? Stuck valve possibly?

Any info/suggestions/ideas would be great. (BTW this is a just rebuilt th350 with transgo soft shift repair kit)

·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES I did say I will modify the governer..... But the downshift problem hasn't really been addressed and I believe not downshifting to 1st when floored at 30 mph is more than a governor problem.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well,
It seems you must be a transmission expert. I just addressed the downshift "problem". Go back and re-read until you comprehend what was written in this post and the last. Maybe you'll figure it out.

·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Listen...don't be a jack*** about it...

The only places I see about downshifting is "and kickdowns at higher roadspeed" and 20-30mph I didn't think was a "higher road speed" AND "Are you sure the kick-down cable is properly adjusted?" yes the kick-down was "adjusted" ...

I guess the governer can cause it to not downshift to 1st from 25mph.

But the information that was given to me clearly said "Governor affects WOT.
Lighter weights or springs increases WOT shift rpm." ... "shifts"

And no I am not a transmission expert...how did you come up with that when I obviously don't get it...

·
Administrator
9,764 Posts
warrant

shift point items have been addressed for you from what I have read .

please give a part number or something so I can determine what TransGo kit you have installed.

What springs were changed in the valve body? In the governor....... before your current complaint on down shift?

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
Warrant said:
YES I did say I will modify the governer..... But the downshift problem hasn't really been addressed and I believe not downshifting to 1st when floored at 30 mph is more than a governor problem.

If you know how the trans works, you can understand how the governer advice you were given will fix your upshift/downshift problem. The governer will allow nearly full line pressure to the upshift side of the shuttle valves when it gets enough speed. If the wieghts on the governer are too heavy, they will open the governer valve up too much too early, and you will experience early upshifts with no forced/WOT downshift, due to the fact that the TV pressure is not as great as the governer pressure. These governers on the TH350's are very sensitive to dirt/contamination causing them to stick, which may also be your issue. The people who gave you this info are not beginners to the internals of auto transmissions. Please re read their advice, and try it before you dismiss it as useless.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Warrant said:
Listen...don't be a jack*** about it...

The only places I see about downshifting is "and kickdowns at higher roadspeed" and 20-30mph I didn't think was a "higher road speed" AND "Are you sure the kick-down cable is properly adjusted?" yes the kick-down was "adjusted" ...

I guess the governer can cause it to not downshift to 1st from 25mph.

But the information that was given to me clearly said "Governor affects WOT.
Lighter weights or springs increases WOT shift rpm." ... "shifts"

And no I am not a transmission expert...how did you come up with that when I obviously don't get it...
Some of us have learned this information we are giving to you for FREE through alot of trial and error, frustration, and expense.
If you actually wanted to fix YOUR problem, you would take the time to read ALL the information given to you.
If you had simply taken the time to go to the link I provided and actually read and comprehend the information, I covered in detail the function and modification of the governor with pictures.
Where else have you seen this information for free?
There are plenty of enthusiasts who appreciate the information given out and don't take it for granted. Maybe the wealth of information (and misinformation) of the net has spoiled some to think they should have immediate answers for free.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My guess is you have a TH350 taken from a donor vehicle that had low numerical rear differential gears, and now have it in a vehicle that has relatively high numerical rear ratio, the governor and valve body calibration is mismatched to the final drive ratio. Common issue easily solved.

·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crosly, Transgo PN# sk-350a was used. I followed the instructions and replaced the springs that was showen (GOLD modulator spring, WHITE 2-3 valve shift spring, RED 1-2 spring etc.) Nothing was done to Governor as I didnt believe the near stock 350 engine would change much.

I will now modify/install the "WHITE and YEllOW" springs for latest shifts stated in the instructions and according to the info Ive gotten here. I think I will aslo add a B&M shift kit so I can downshift at any MPH and hold in gear.

sbchevfreak, Jakeshoe,
I do very very much appreciate you and all others for helping me for free, this is a great place and I dont want to be a "pain" if you will being here. I did not realize/understand that the governor affected low MPH downshifts.

The trans was taken from a 1975 malibu with a 2.73 rear end. Nova now has 3.08.

·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jakeshoe said:
Remove the gold modulator spring.
Oh suck, that made me just notice in my instructions "If normal shifts are too early remove gold spring" sorry I feel dumb now :smash: :spank:

·
Administrator
9,764 Posts
Warrant said:
Oh suck, that made me just notice in my instructions "If normal shifts are too early remove gold spring" sorry I feel dumb now :smash: :spank:

that would be the reason I asked the question.

I guess the kit did not include a green spring that installs in the detent valve assembly that is on the opposite side of the valve body from the pressure regulator valve assembly?

·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crosley said:
that would be the reason I asked the question.

I guess the kit did not include a green spring that installs in the detent valve assembly that is on the opposite side of the valve body from the pressure regulator valve assembly?
Nope...it says it is not neccesary do dissassemble the detent and manual low control valves although I did to clean and inspect. Should I get one?

·
Administrator
9,764 Posts
Warrant said:
Nope...it says it is not neccesary do dissassemble the detent and manual low control valves although I did to clean and inspect. Should I get one?

I checked on the TransGo part number...... this is the basic "Green box" kit that I used to install into a 4x4 applications . I have not used this kit in years , so that is why I was ignorant on it

This is NOT a high performance kit from TransGo.

To get the springs I was talking about , you need the 350-1&2 kit from TransGo.

It just seems to me the extra springs were in the Green Box kit years ago ........ CRS applies here.

Now............. your wanting - expecting a down shift to first gear at 30 mph when the throttle is floored ..... depends on gear ratio of the differential and the tranny.

This is something you will need to mod the trans for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hmmm

If you know how the trans works, you can understand how the governer advice you were given will fix your upshift/downshift problem. The governer will allow nearly full line pressure to the upshift side of the shuttle valves when it gets enough speed. If the wieghts on the governer are too heavy, they will open the governer valve up too much too early, and you will experience early upshifts with no forced/WOT downshift, due to the fact that the TV pressure is not as great as the governer pressure. These governers on the TH350's are very sensitive to dirt/contamination causing them to stick, which may also be your issue. The people who gave you this info are not beginners to the internals of auto transmissions. Please re read their advice, and try it before you dismiss it as useless.

·
Registered
685 Posts
trans is out

Yankeerodder, it appears you have done the same thing that I did when I first started posting, you pulled up an old thread.

I fancy myself to be a reasonably intelligent person and judging by your post it seems you are as well, so.. don't sweat it and keep posting.

·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
uhh ?

? um this post is from forever ago dude, and why are copying someone elses replys? (sbchevfreak post #7) ??? I followed their advice and they were right, although I had that gold spring installed, not a governor problem, which caused confusion. The trans is flawless now (Stock governor with different springs is what I ended up doin, shifts at around [email protected] - perfect JFYI).

·
Registered
685 Posts
trans is out

Warrant, you apparently have little or no tact, not surprising, considering your age. No reply from you would have been the correct reply.

With youth comes ignorance. Did you even consider yankeerodder may have made a mistake when he posted. Perhaps he tried to tag sbchevfreak's quote, but just made a mistake.

Yankeerodder is new to this site, why would you try to alienate him?

Your sense of entitlement was clearly expressed in your thread from last year.

Jakeshoe said it best in one of his posts,"thru trial and error,frustration and great expense,some of us have learned these things that we offer to you for free." And yes, in my opinion, you do take it for granted.

I doubt that anybody that contributes their time or information to this forum owes you anything. You shouldn't act like they do.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts