Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
My car took all my money
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just to rehash; i put a turbo 350 in a mid 80's camaro daily driver, because the 700r4 burned up. i put a new front seal in it and a pan gasket and now its leaking really bad like 2 quarts in less than 24 hours. and only when the car is not running. if the cars on it wont leak but off it leaks everytime. any ideas cause trans fluid is starting to get expensive and i get a discount on it

·
just a gearhead in paradise..
459 Posts
when you installed the pan gasket, did you tighten it all the way down? or just till it moved a little? using silicone? cork or rubber gasket? i struggled with many a trans pan gaskets and finally wound up taking it to a trans shop and had them do it for me. hasn't leaked since. i wish felpro would make a polyurethane gasket with the anti-crush metal inserts for T350. i'd definitely buy one.

·
My car took all my money
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cork gasket, no silicone, all the way down and this is my first trans project( kinda, i do trans services at saturn but they're pretty idiot proof) so i really wasnt sure how far to go.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
as the trans sits the converter will drain back into the trans pan........ anything above the pan rail can leak oil.

The filler tube

the detent cable

the shifter linkage

the speed-O bullet/housing

Around the pump to case seals and gasket

·
My car took all my money
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i (with some help) seem to have figured it out. one of the bolts was too small and the way the gasket is designed the bolt holes are tight, so the bolt felt like it was tightening up but wasn't, i fixed it this afternoon and it hasn't leaked yet, but it may later(knock on wood).

·
My car took all my money
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it did leak later. i was supervised by my auto tech teacher at school, who told me that it didn't need a kickdown cable so it doesn't have one. think that might be the leak? i sure do. gotta get a kickdown cable and install that adjustable modulator.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
blue85350 said:
it did leak later. i was supervised by my auto tech teacher at school, who told me that it didn't need a kickdown cable so it doesn't have one. think that might be the leak? i sure do. gotta get a kickdown cable and install that adjustable modulator.
If there is no detent cable ..... is there an open hole there?

·
My car took all my money
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
apparently, my little brother was looking at it when i came home from work, ticked off that it drained 2 qts. in a day, and came in to tell me that. yeah open hole(sorry if i sound like an ***, but i'm on my second case of trans fluid in the last 2 weeks) anyway thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions

·
just a gearhead in paradise..
459 Posts
blue85350 said:
i find that very interesting... teaching auto tech and giving advise... what is his background? is he ASE certified? there are some really good auto shop teachers, but it all depends on their background.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
blue85350 said:
apparently, my little brother was looking at it when i came home from work, ticked off that it drained 2 qts. in a day, and came in to tell me that. yeah open hole(sorry if i sound like an ***, but i'm on my second case of trans fluid in the last 2 weeks) anyway thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions
It is interesting on how the instructor tells you the cable is unneeded , so you leave a 3/8 inch hole open on the tranny case.

We had a customer go off on our counter help this past summer.... calling every body names , " I am gonna get a lawyer threat" ... all over a leaky 700r4 tranny, no shifts till high RPM....The kid had called our tech guy several times.

When we got his car on the lift , the filler tube was stuck in the case of the 700r4.... there was NO rubber sealing sleeve on the filler tube. The un-hooked TV cable was resting on the header ( melted).

The kid's dad called me a G-D liar when I explained the TV cable must be hooked up. I walked away & let the shop manager handle it.

Good luck with your car, you will get it done. It is just a large learning curve

:cool:

·
My car took all my money
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well the teacher is older and he has been having steriod injections in his back, and has been in a lot of pain. so i really don't want to hold it against him, but that was bad advice.

·
My car took all my money
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
put the kickdown cable in today, and guess what, no leaks. the car also seems to shift harder, and not as early. so it is coming together well. now about the convertor and engine........

·
Registered
2 Posts
blue85350 said:
just to rehash; i put a turbo 350 in a mid 80's camaro daily driver, because the 700r4 burned up. i put a new front seal in it and a pan gasket and now its leaking really bad like 2 quarts in less than 24 hours. and only when the car is not running. if the cars on it wont leak but off it leaks everytime. any ideas cause trans fluid is starting to get expensive and i get a discount on it
That front seal is a very tempermental issue it needs to be put in very carefully. Check the converter where it contacts the seal sometimes it get wear or burs and eats the seal.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
Smokingswordfish said:
That front seal is a very tempermental issue it needs to be put in very carefully. Check the converter where it contacts the seal sometimes it get wear or burs and eats the seal.

Smokingswordfish...... not sure if you read all of the posts..... the young fellow was told he did not need a dentent cable on the t-350 by his instructor at school.

SO the young fellow left the cable off, leaving a 3/8 inch diameter hole for the fluid to run out of.

:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.