Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey... im not a hot rodder or an experience mechanic , what i am is a 17 year old kid who has a question that is proving harder than i thought to answer and hopefully someone can help me. Just over a year ago i bought my first car, a 1972 Pontiac lemans. My intention is to swap the auto trans to a 4 speed but i have been unable to find a trans with linkage in my price range. A friends brother has a 87 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup with a Chevy 305 and a 4 speed trans, would the chevy trans fit onto my pontiac 350. If anyone has any comments or thoughts on if this would work please let me know...o yea.... and my email adress is no longer working so i cannot recieve any emails

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Welcome to the board. You are new so don’t know the ins and outs yet. This forum is intended for general introductions only. Tech questions posted here don’t get the coverage they deserve. Repost your question in the proper forum, Transmission and Rear End in this case, and it will have a good chance of being answered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey... im not a hot rodder or an experience mechanic , what i am is a 17 year old kid who has a question that is proving harder than i thought to answer and hopefully someone can help me. Just over a year ago i bought my first car, a 1972 Pontiac lemans. My intention is to swap the auto trans to a 4 speed but i have been unable to find a trans with linkage in my price range. A friends brother has a 87 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup with a Chevy 305 and a 4 speed trans, would the chevy trans fit onto my pontiac 350. If anyone has any comments or thoughts on if this would work please let me know...o yea.... and my email adress is no longer working so i cannot recieve any emails

·
I am the Antirice
270 Posts
Three letters for you here, you will see them a whole lot from here on out, and that is BOP, (buick, olds, pontiac) It's their own tranny bolt pattern from gm, Im sure you can find the right bellhousing somewhere, havent messed with a bunch of manual geared tranny swaps, but I know with auto tranny's there are some dual pattern that will fit the BOP cars, and the chevy pattern.

As for other parts, like z bar and pedals adn stuff, dont know how close this really would be, but you should try to find another A-body car car for a doner, hell , there may be a lot more out there that will fit with them parts. You should find a 4 speed lamans, and check it out, see how it looks under the dash under the hood, and under the floorpan.

Plus, another part, but not so needed, but asthetically pleasing, is the floor. Many floorpans with manual gearboxes, have a hump for the shifter, you may want to get one, but they get expenisve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.