Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped a 390 Fe engine into my 1974 torino that originally had a 302. I got a new bellhousing to attach it to the old cruise-o-matic, I think it may be a c4 transmission. Upon starting engine for the first time, there was a really loud whirring sound coming from the transmission that got louder with more rpm. At first I thought that the starter wasn't disengaging the gear, but that turned out not to be the problem. I checked the transmission fluid and it was extremely low, I added a quart and the noise got quieter, but was still there, I added another and there wasnt any change. then, while checking the timing at idle, the noise just stopped completely at once. Then I tried putting the car in gear and nothing happened, I checked the shift linkage and it wasnt engaging. I fixed that but it still wont go into gear, the car just rolls like its in neutral, even in park. I should note that the engine came from a junkyard, the torque converter, too. I filled the torque converter with fluid before installing it and made sure I slid it into the input shaft all the way, it slid in further in three increments as I put it on. The transmission worked fine before the swap. I have yet to move the car at all with the new engine.

·
Registered
235 Posts
http://www.mustangtek.com/Library6/PDF/ShopTips3-8.pdf

There are some basic testing procedures on pg.7. If it ran fine before then backtrack to the changes made. The year of the transmission may also make a difference on the testing.

Having the tranny full of fluid is a good start. Type F is known to be the least slippery of the transmission fluids and spec'd for most of these trannys.

Something else is going on if the parking pawl is not engaging.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, its not going into park, I jacked it up and I can spin the tires in park. Any thoughts on what the whirring noise was? I'm afraid something major broke. My only other thought is that I didn't install the torque converter correctly, or maybe it's broken. While i had it jacked up, I went through all the gears and there wasn't any rpm to the driveshaft.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Did you have to pull the converter forward when you bolted it up? I have seen them become partially unseated trying to manhandle/manipulate stuff together. Unknown J/Y converter is taking a chance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it did slip a bit forward trying to bolt it on, I'm in the middle removing the engine again to have a look. Before that, I added more fluid and fixed a cooling line with a really loose hose with no success to moving the wheels. I couldn't get the trans linkage to move with the column shift, there was a bracket missing, I was shifting by moving the linkage directly attached to the trans with the wheels in the air. Would the column shift not moving with the linkage cause any troubles? Any ideas why It was acting like neutral in park, besides the pawl being broken?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, I pulled the engine and double checked the converter, it's fully seated. I double checked vacuum lines, they're good. I checked if it was pumping fluid to the radiator, it is, a lot. I replaced the brown trans fluid with type f. I pulled the trans pan to see if anything was obviously wrong, some small sparkles of metal in it, I didn't know what to make of it. Turns out that the trans is locked in park, I didn't have the linkage right at first. I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm planning and pulling the trans and getting a new torque converter. Any other thoughts before I do?

·
Registered
437 Posts
well, I pulled the engine and double checked the converter, it's fully seated. I double checked vacuum lines, they're good. I checked if it was pumping fluid to the radiator, it is, a lot. I replaced the brown trans fluid with type f. I pulled the trans pan to see if anything was obviously wrong, some small sparkles of metal in it, I didn't know what to make of it. Turns out that the trans is locked in park, I didn't have the linkage right at first. I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm planning and pulling the trans and getting a new torque converter. Any other thoughts before I do?
Hold up, if in fact it was the converter that failed it can send shrapnel through the trans so the trans need tore down or the shrapnel ends back up in the new converter and vice/versa You really need to figure out what's really going on before tossing a converter in there. An ATSG manual for that trans has procedures for both air testing the unit and for pressure testing via the ports if you have access to a gauge set up. I've never been in a ford trans so I can't be real specific. Broken parking pawl, stuck valve or valves in the valve body or bad seal somewhere within it. come to mind. The converter snout usually drives the pump and moves the fluid but doesn't mean the innards of the converter are in tact.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is this a bad color for trans fluid? When it first spilled out during the engine swap, it was dark red. After refilling the trans with new type f, it's this pinkish brown color. It still feels like trans fluid, not watery or anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not sure exactly there. Pink and brown. Maybe water intrusion milkshake. Trans fluid is supposed to watery it's like 5-7 weight. Maybe that converter had water/rust in it ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you're probably right about the torque converter, it was sitting in the dirt when I originally pulled the 390 from a junkyard car. I had to go back and grab it, so it was sitting there a while. Is there any way to test a torque converter outside of a transmission? It looked fine, I couldn't see anything obvious by looking down it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
There should be a drain plug or two on the torque converter so you can flush it out independent of the transmission. A filter screen too when you take the pan off the tranny.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Looked up c4 trans 2 variations. Actually 3. 70-81 26 spline 82-? 26 spline and 64-69 24 spline. Each one calls for a different converter setup. Possible converter/trans spline mix up? That would explain the noise and metalflake as the converter and trans input/stator shaft self clearanced each other? hope not.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I bet Hipster nailed what the main issue is. You can't just pickup random converters and stuff them into transmissions. I've seen one that had the wrong spline match myself and that's what it did. Seemed to fit together well but screamed when the engine was started and the transmission was non-functional.
I feel like your Park malfunction is likely just the linkage. Disconnect the linkage and check by putting the transmission into Park by hand.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I bet Hipster nailed what the main issue is. You can't just pickup random converters and stuff them into transmissions. I've seen one that had the wrong spline match myself and that's what it did. Seemed to fit together well but screamed when the engine was started and the transmission was non-functional.
I feel like your Park malfunction is likely just the linkage. Disconnect the linkage and check by putting the transmission into Park by hand.
Yeah, I'd be looking at those splines pretty hard for damage.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
could the problem be that the torque converter that I pulled with the junkyard engine came from a c6 trans? for some reason I assumed that the 71ltd I pulled the 390 from also had a c4.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Either way, given the circumstances with the junk that was sent through the trans by the junk converter, the trans should be tore down and cleaned/inspected/rebuilt so that you don't trash a new converter in short order and probably need a stator for the pump.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts