Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
well, I can definitely see where the metal sparkles came from. On the larger part of the input shaft, you can see where the horizontal grooves have been worn smooth. Other than that, nothing else looks horribly wrong. I think I'm going to look for a c6 trans and keep the converter, I've seen more of them on craigslist than torque converters and I might grab the original one from the engine at the junkyard.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Oh. Ok. Good Luck with it. Sounds like it's gonna be pretty quick. :D
Try and keep up with current events would ya' fella! LOL
He's past that already. He's going to take the water logged rust infested converter he dug out of the mud at the junkyard that's already destroyed one transmission and install it in another transmission and put that in the car.

I wish him well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
ok ok. I was just going off all the c6 transmissions I was seeing on craigslist and no torque converters. I'll see what I can find that makes more sense.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok, here. By taking a little more time and care, I found a torque converter for a c4 trans with a 26 spline input shaft, should fit my 1974 c4, and a 11.5 inch bolt circle diameter, should fit the fe flexwheel. Good plan, right?

·
Burnt out transmission tech.
941 Posts
Ok, here. By taking a little more time and care, I found a torque converter for a c4 trans with a 26 spline input shaft, should fit my 1974 c4, and a 11.5 inch bolt circle diameter, should fit the fe flexwheel. Good plan, right?
How many splines on your input shaft?

Might be an idea to count them. 🤔

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It sounds like this is an fmx transmission. A torque converter seems a lot hard to find for this application, and much more expensive. I think I'm gonna go back to looking for a c6 trans, I have a lead on one that comes with a torque converter and is the same length as this one, it also came off of a 390 fe. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
You also need to verify the output shaft and the front driveshaft yoke are compatible. I'm not certain that is definitely the case as I'm not a Ford guy just something to look at.

There is no way to verify if a used trans or converter is good at point of sale. I view them as cores. You're looking at a 40 y/o transmission where the internal rubber seals are probably shot especially if it's been sitting. The odds are against just tossing it in and it working..... Maybe you'll get lucky.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yea, the guy with the trans just sent pictures and the driveshaft definitely wont fit. I'll take my chances with an old converter and trans, though. For the driveshaft, Is it possible to replace the front yolk? I still have a parts car where I got the 390 fe that's a complete car, minus the engine. I'm gonna take the trip to it at the junkyard and take a look at the trans compared to my other option, I figure I could maybe take the front yolk from that driveshaft or maybe take the whole driveshaft, There's a fair chance that it's the same length as the existing one in my car.

·
Registered
337 Posts
THAT is an FMX. Generally an OK transmission even though I don't like them much myself. I would personally much prefer a C6.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I have to say that this thread is somewhat painful to read. I understand using junkyard parts, in fact I recommend it often, but you have to be sure of what you're getting and the compatibility.

I did a quick search and found used C6's with a parking lot guarantee and TC for about $400 and rebuilt with a real warranty for less than $700.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-390-R...TORQUE-CONVERTER-GOOD-CONDITION-/132675152039

How much do you have invested at the junkyard in what you've bought so far? Someone else mentioned it, but a junkyard, 40+ year old trans being completely functional is a pipe dream IMHO. Unless you have a guy on the inside keeping track of what's coming in and the condition when it arrives. Save up a couple of bucks and get a setup from a functioning vehicle or buy a rebuild with TC wth warranty for less than $1k is my advice.

Good luck - Jim

p.s - we run a well built 200-4R, but I have 'old faithful' in the shed in the event of an untimely failure. 'Old faithful' was pulled with the TC from the junkyard about 5-6 years ago, was used prior to the well built unit showing up and has been called into service once since. 'Old faithful' set me back $75 with TC and I had an inside guy keeping an eye out for one when we bought/pulled it.

·
Administrator
9,764 Posts
well, my parts car at the junkyard disappeared. Anybody know where I can find a yoke to fit this output shaft?
That is a C6 trans , with a bolt on yoke type of output shaft. There is no slip yoke for that application , If that is what you search for.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have to say that this thread is somewhat painful to read. I understand using junkyard parts, in fact I recommend it often, but you have to be sure of what you're getting and the compatibility.

I did a quick search and found used C6's with a parking lot guarantee and TC for about $400 and rebuilt with a real warranty for less than $700.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-390-R...TORQUE-CONVERTER-GOOD-CONDITION-/132675152039

How much do you have invested at the junkyard in what you've bought so far? Someone else mentioned it, but a junkyard, 40+ year old trans being completely functional is a pipe dream IMHO. Unless you have a guy on the inside keeping track of what's coming in and the condition when it arrives. Save up a couple of bucks and get a setup from a functioning vehicle or buy a rebuild with TC wth warranty for less than $1k is my advice.

Good luck - Jim

p.s - we run a well built 200-4R, but I have 'old faithful' in the shed in the event of an untimely failure. 'Old faithful' was pulled with the TC from the junkyard about 5-6 years ago, was used prior to the well built unit showing up and has been called into service once since. 'Old faithful' set me back $75 with TC and I had an inside guy keeping an eye out for one when we bought/pulled it.
Thanks for your wise advice. For starters, I bought a brand new torque converter instead of a transmission. It's still a gamble wether or not it'll fit, but less of a gamble than a new old transmission. Next, my point is that I'm 17 and I have a 17 year old's part time job at a burger restaurant, I'm on a tight shoestring budget for my car. When I can't afford something, It means that it probably costs more than 200 hundred dollars. Most of the time I have to risk doing things extremely cheap, and so far, things are going surprisingly well, with a lot of luck. You're right though, the transmission was probably too much of a risk.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts