Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings....Computer geek trying to be a mechanic again.

Just fixed an electrical problem, now the transaxle is going.....

Working a 1990 2.5L Turbo Dodge Shadow..

Transaxle skips first gear, and then grinds when slowing. Now the grinding is going on during reverse as well however I can still go in revers.

Any ideas on what to do? Tried following things.

Checked fluids...ok
Checked Sensor cable power...ok

Thanks

·
Registered
576 Posts
tranny trouble

3 speed tranny? if so planet failure common metal from that failure will head straight to governer and throttle valve in valve body and thats the good news! the metal will ruin the paper clutch plates the bands the oil pump torq converter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great Thanks.

Yes....3-speed automatic transaxle (what's the diff?)

can you pls tell me what that means? :p
I have NO IDEA what you just said.... :)

Where do I check these things?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Greetings....Computer geek trying to be a mechanic again.
I have NO IDEA what you just said....
all this means trans is in need of repair,if these terms don't make sense let someone else do this repair.
Translation: This is not a part of a vehicle to be working on with no prior experience, and is best left to a professional, as they will also put a warranty on their work, leaving you feeling much better than having made the repairs yourself without the insurance of experience in this field, and by some chance it does not work as expected, having absolutely no one to fall back on for the blame other than yourself, and as a result of said mishap, falling deeper in debt by taking it to someone else with the correct area of experience to repair for the second time.
Or third if the lessons didn't sink in right away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok. followed advice. took it to a professional.... Transmasters in El Cajon in San Diego....

They said there is brass in the fluid which needs changing anyways. The governor is stopped up with some sort of gunk which is burning the clutch out (hopefully not yet). and forcing a 3rd gear startup.

They requested to do a RDI (remove, dissassemble, and inspection???)...450.00
They said the 450 will come out of full repairs to transaxle, but have to wait for dissassemble to really figure out what's up.

What should I be listening for? They want to determine the source and cause of the brass, and the condition of the clutch and governor.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
576 Posts
tranny trouble

R D I only to deceive the customer,and stop you from knowing the high price they intend to charge you. the tranny can be rebuilt the only question is what the cost will be .....1200 bucks here from my shop.

·
Registered
103 Posts
tell them to put their RDI up their %*^. $450 to tell you what you already know is wrong!! id tell them to rebuild it, or buy a rebuilt and have it installed. obviously needs a rebuild sounds like they just want your money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.