Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, joined the forum just now to ask about this kit...

I'm trying to choose between a Stage 1&2 and a Stage 3 Transgo kit for my TH350 and confused about the distinction(s) between the two.

http://www.transgo.com/rpg_generalmtr.php

The ad copy for the 350 1&2 kit says "Holds 1st, 2nd and 3rd to any rpm;
Backshifts to 3rd, 2nd and 1st at any rpm."

Which I would interpret (maybe wrongly) as meaning I could start in 1, keep it in 1 until my desired RPM before shifting by moving the lever to 2, then keep it in 2 until my desired RPM before shifting by moving the lever to 3 ("D" on the lever)... no?

Or I could just start in D and it would shift on its own, provided the vacuum and kickdown were connected and trans was otherwise working ok...

Correct?

I thought I understood, until finding this thread and it said that shifting from 2 to 3 wouldn't happen the way I imagined.

Would appreciate more detail/clarification if possible, for a dumb newbie with a question I couldn't find the answer to anywhere (I usually look for a long time before posting anywhere asking questions)....

·
Administrator
10,116 Posts
not much to understand

TransGo kit 1 & 2 is an automatic / manual shift. It will auto shift in *D* .....

it will hold each gear till you move the shifter to a higher gear.

It will down shift at any speed or RPM.

This kit will not upshift at any slow speed unless the governor system allows it.

TransGo -3 kit is full manual control. No automatic upshifts or down. IF you place the shifter in *2* while at a complete stop, the trans will be in 2nd gear

:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply!

One more question.... if this kit is installed, does it eliminate/shorten the delay between moving the shifter (say from 1 to 2), and the trans actually switching gears? Or is the stage 3 kit required for that?

·
Administrator
10,116 Posts
the TransGo kit 350-1&2 in the blue box will quicken the shifts and the plate does dual feed the direct clutch.

read the instructions closely.

You can also modify the check count for 'more' firmer shifts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.