Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Th350 on a sbc400 1971 nova what y’all recommend for a transmission cooler, this car will be strictly street/strip more street than strip for now just staring my project car my transmission tho is getting rebuilt with harden internals welded band high friction clutch’s and new shift kit transco stage 2

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
The radiatior is often your best transmission coolier. It helps warm up the oil then hold that oil temp at a optimum temp.
If you need additional cooling then a secondary can be run inline.
But, a radiatior with a transmission coolier is often enough.

The same thing applies to oil cooling. If your able to have one with a trans and oil in one radiatior or run a manual then that side tank is often up to the task.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
If you're going to run a shift kit, then you will likely need a looser torque converter to prevent cracking bones in your neck. Been there, done that......never again. A far cheaper approach is to sling the shift kit over the fence and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I am using a Derale remote cooler with fan. 3200 stall in a 4000 pond truck. Actually getting my temp gauge installed today, but the fan runs less than my radiator fan does!
So I'm sure its doing its job well.

·
True Hotrodder
1,725 Posts
The best bet for mostly street use would be to put a small cooler in series with the internal cooler of the radiator. I would put the output of the trans to the new cooler first then route it to the internal cooler and then back to the transmission. If you end up using a hose bib type cooler, do yourself a favor and double the hose clamps on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts