Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go...Just rebuilt a 4L60E transmission on a 2001 Suburban. I am receiving a message (not an error code) on the dash that the fluid is hot (only while driving about 70 MPH). Sometimes I can drive for an hour and sometimes 10 minutes before the message appears. Right when I pull off the road the light goes off. I continue on my way and maybe within 10 minutes or never the light comes on again. We have replaced the pressure switch since this problem started. The fluid is still red, clear and doesn't smell burnt. We are using Dexron III fluid and have flushed it completely as well. This problem is very inconsistant.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll start this off by admiting that my transmission knowledge is lacking....just ask anyone here. My first thought would be to hook up a temperature gauge to the test port on the trans, and see if the actual fluid temp is hot when your message appears, or do you know what the actual temp is? That would tell you if you are having an electrical glitch or an actual overtemp.
One of the knowledgable gurus here will probably chim in, but that is my thought.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
You mention that the pressure switch was replaced.... would you elaborate on that switch? so I know you replaced the correct part.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
jjrkjnoslen said:
Hello,
The Transmission Fluid Pressure Manual Valve Position Switch is the switch I replaced.
Thanks

This is the switch on the valve body inside the trans pan? Not on the side of the transmission at the shift linkage?

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
Two common issues I see with GM trannys that can cause that light to come on: overfilled transmission, and one of the speed sensors. Both can cause a trans temp light to come on. I'm not saying it makes sense, but it happens. Double check fluid level. If not, there is a speed sensor that fails causing that light to come on

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
the temp sensor in the pressure manifold on the valve body does not go bad often , it does happen.

A quality scanner that is capable of reading the data stream live would show a temp reading.

·
Registered
86 Posts
jjrkjnoslen said:
The torque converter is new, I hope it's not that! If it was the torque converter would it send a code?
Very many cars with computers will send a TCC code which could be several things besides the converter. But keep in mind the converter is where most of the trans heat is generated. The more it slips the more heat. Your trans requires a lock up converter, but if it is not locking up properly it will generate excessive heat and soon burn the clutch in the converter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.