Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is a problem I ran into when doing a routine fluid check on my fiance's car. It is a 92 or 93 mitsubishi ecplise 4 cyl. Automatic transmission. Anyway, the fluid was a purpleish color, almost like what I would imagine it would look like if transmission fluid and used oil were mixed... Also, the transmission fluid was for no reason WAY above the full mark. I suggested she have the transmission flushed and the filter and fluid changed, and she had her pops do it, or I thought. I guess he changed the fluid, but left the filter. Anyway, after she drove the car for like 15 minutes, the fluid was black again. And it seems to want to fill itself from lord knows where... When it gets full like that, the thing won't shift at all. Can't figure out why it would be overfull if no one is putting extra fluid in. Any ideas would be helpful.

P.S. the car isn't even worth the cost of a tranny rebuild, so if that is what it comes to, we will probably just scrap the darn thing. :smash:

·
Registered
576 Posts
mitsu

changing the fluid is not a cure all for clutch failure, most people want to change fluid after you have transmission trouble.black tranny fluid is a sure sign of damage, brown fluid is old and most the time changing will help. tranny sound's like it needs repair 1800 and up here.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya, that is what i was afraid of... her pops bought it for like 1200 with a bad tranny... he had some idiots that he has been going to for years redo the transmission for another 1200, and it has been less than a year.... that isn't to mention the nearly 3 grand put into it elsewhere, including a "motor rebuild" in which I am pretty sure all that happened were new valves and seals in the heads... the motor acts like it runs on 3 cyl... i think someone should have realized it was a lost cause a LONG time ago...

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KULTULZ said:
Consider torque convertor drain down.
oh, and that might be a thought. I figure if we get the filter changed, and the tranny flushed and new fluid, and if the fluid seems to want to stay the right color but still fills itself, would that point to the converter?

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Croz said:
oh, and that might be a thought. I figure if we get the filter changed, and the tranny flushed and new fluid, and if the fluid seems to want to stay the right color but still fills itself, would that point to the converter?
Croz Earlier said:
And it seems to want to fill itself from lord knows where... When it gets full like that, the thing won't shift at all.
If extra fluid appears seemingly from nowheres, it is most likely the convertor leaking down after shutdown. Of course, the fluid in the convertor will be dirty unless a complete flush was performed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.