Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know I have been posting a lot of questions on the board, and I am sorry for that, but I just want to know the correct way to do things before I go and do them. So on my Trans. housing on the bottom there is this section that is open I think I measured something like 6"x3" and I was told to cover it by one of my uncle's friends, is this okay to do?, if so can I use sheet metal? and when I go to put it up, there are holes for screws to go into, should I run a small bead of RTV to form a gasket? also when I look at it it looks reallly really wet and in the steering section I posted about my power steering, but now that I think about it, could any fluid be coming out of this hole and leaking onto my floor? TIA

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
There is a cover that covers the hole, which you obviously are missing. If a flat piece of sheet metal will work, that's great, and easy. You don't need a gasket.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You, yay, now I get to go fabricate, sort of, Thank You Again.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
It kind of makes you wonder why someone would invest in chroming a transmission in a street rod and not think of devoting a section of the transmission tunnel to a treat of plexiglass, or lexan, to see the pricey underneath.

The black stepside truck in my gallery had no transmission hump at all for about the first month of test and tune, and from there went to a decent sized hole for the transfer case shifter.

I never got to covering that hole up though, I severely broke the truck, right rear main leaf snapped, right framerail under the passenger seat, rear brake flex hose, and the pressure side of the oil cooler lines directly causing a rod bearing to wake up and say HI!! and knocking to come in.

I did make it to a COMPLETE three feet off the ground in the last jump though, and no I didn't win.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoanesss, 3 feet, dang jeez.:sweat: :sweat:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.