Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Marcel
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My granddaughter's 1976 jeep commando has a trans leak. It work and shifts fine, I haven't seen it yet, but what should I look for (where) straight 6 auto ,four wheel drive. She says the underside is coated with oil and on the exhaust system. She notated smoke coming from under the veh. any help would be app. Marcel
PS its almost a qt. low on fluid.

·
Registered
576 Posts
jeep

should be an old 400 trans, you didnt give alot of info, but cooler lines, front seal, and worst case front drive shaft can break loose and whack the case and break out a chunk. along with some other places it can leak.

·
Marcel
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the jeep

Thanks for a place to start. I think I'll swap with her and let her drive my Blazer (99) while I try looking it over (or under) I've swapped some chevy trans's auto and rebuilt 4 speeding, but I never even looked under a jeep. The car is fairly new to her (had it about 3 mos.) I did have a new set of tires put on it. its clean as a pin inside and out (142,000mi.) I don't mind paying someone to fix it, I just don't care to hear the 1400.00 $ repair bill on a trans that drives and shifts great. thank again and I let you know what I find.

·
Marcel
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trans leak

Jmark, you must be so great. I bet you walk outside when its raining and look up and say, wow, that rain is coming from that one cloud right there.
I found the leak, (it wasn't the exhaust tho) but only after get it on a lift and pressure washing the under carriage and starting it. It was only a loose line. Thanks to most of you guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts