Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
no

i think my brother tried it when we were younger and broke; and it didn't work. the engine oil doesn't have the frictional viscous properties and just foams up and wont continuosly drive the trans.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
you can add a quart or 2 to a tranny if it has morning sickness.

Sometimes it helps, some times it don't

using ALL engine oil in a tranny is not advised

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:welcome: we had a allison tras. rebuilt a the local detroit dealer and they recomended using motor oil insted of trans. fluid,they have found out that motor oil will hold up better than dexron under extreme duty,handles heat better, we tryed it and been working flawlessly since the rebuild.used straight 40 w with three bottles of lucas trans mix. it locks hard ,shifts perfect, operating temp went down 15%.we realy hammer on these things hard.it was just a thought reason why i was asking.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
engineman302 said:
:welcome: we had a allison tras. rebuilt a the local detroit dealer and they recomended using motor oil insted of trans. fluid,they have found out that motor oil will hold up better than dexron under extreme duty,handles heat better, we tryed it and been working flawlessly since the rebuild.used straight 40 w with three bottles of lucas trans mix. it locks hard ,shifts perfect, operating temp went down 15%.we realy hammer on these things hard.it was just a thought reason why i was asking.
======= that is how I learned to use engine oil in a weak tranny with hard internal seals.... a geezer that built Allisons told me about it years ago

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.