Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
STUDE55DOG said:
Anyone know of a transmission pan for a 700r4 that has a site for a temperature sensor can be screwed in? Thanks.

I've never seen a steel pan with a threaded port for this.... Aluminum pan can be drilled & tapped.

Some folks thread a temp sensor into the main line pressure port on the driver's side of trans case , just above the shifter linkage.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Crosley said:
I've never seen a steel pan with a threaded port for this.... Aluminum pan can be drilled & tapped.

Some folks thread a temp sensor into the main line pressure port on the driver's side of trans case , just above the shifter linkage.
Would a cast pan be too thin for tapping?

I like the idea of one in the cooler line as it exits the transmission, That way you are seeing converter temperature, the highest temp in the system.

Pan temp is a good average transmission temp, after the cool oil goes through the internals.

Always use an oil thermostat valve when using an external oil cooler.

Does anybody know where GM reads the trans temp on the 2500HD that has the gauge on the instrument cluster?

·
Banned
204 Posts
Sure just get yourself a cast aluminum pan, they are always thick enough to drill and tap for a fitting. Also, while most temp probes are 1/8" NPT, it is always best to drill 5/16" it for a 1/4" NPT fitting and then reduce to 1/8". This allows the 1/4" fitting to remain in the pan, even if the temp probe needs to be removed, it cuts down of leaks by keeping the threads in great shape and no breaking the seal between the 1/4' fitting and the pan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.