Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Get the inner dimensions of the transmission tailshaft, the outer diameter of the driveshaft yoke, find a bearing supplier and my guess is that he will be able to find one that will work.

If you are really LUCKY it might be one of these:

NATIONAL Part 471344 Shaft Size=1.5", Housing Bore=2.441, Outer Diameter=2.445, Width=0.375in
Borg-Warner T86E 3 Spd. Manual Transmission; Base Model

NATIONAL Part 8160S Shaft Size=1.562", Housing Bore=2.441, Outer Diameter=2.457, Width=0.5in
Borg-Warner T96 3 Spd. Manual Transmission; Base Model

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
stude club

I have a neighbor that has 4 or 5 old studebakes. There is a national Studebaker club, Join and ask questions, and if you first say you are restoring it you will get a lot more responses.,Kantors caries a lot of old car parts, but if you look at their caatalog you can sometimes find out what other cars that same seal fits. Most of part houses computers don't go back that far.

·
oldmanchopper
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a neighbor that has 4 or 5 old studebakes. There is a national Studebaker club, Join and ask questions, and if you first say you are restoring it you will get a lot more responses.,Kantors caries a lot of old car parts, but if you look at their caatalog you can sometimes find out what other cars that same seal fits. Most of part houses computers don't go back that far.
does kantors have website?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
spell check time

OPPS I mis spelled it . www,kanter. or search Kanter auto products sometimes you can find old stock parts on E bay . but the accuracy of what the part fits is questionable. I used to have some old JC Whitney catalogs in the file cabinet, You could look up the part you needed, then use their part number to see what else that seal or bearing fit then go to your local parts store and say I need to check out a seal for a 196x ford with a xyz transmission

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
According to one of our catalogs published circa 1940; it could be a T86, or even a T88. Which Studie is this? Dictator, Commander etc?
According to the catalog, theres no seals listed. As said previously, post the ID and OD and I'll cross it against National and Chicago Rawhide. Seals change slowly, so Im sure we'll have something, although the width may be a bit odd, since you're going from leather lipped seals (the reason for the name Chicago Rawhide) to a modern garter-spring seal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.