Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so my 700R4 blew out on me... but I do have a T350 that was rebuilt a few years ago. the only problem is it's out of an 81 camero.. and the speed sensor is a cable not electronic like in my 89 S10 4.3 so i was wodering if i could swap the tailstocks and have my speed sensor work. also will the flexplate and torque converters holes align so it will bolt up? thanks any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
685 Posts
Check out this web site www. geocities.com/crosley az/700id.htm

Or go to page 3 of this site,look for 700id,then you can just clik onto site,to find above site.

·
Administrator
9,769 Posts
DaleMcD said:
so my 700R4 blew out on me... but I do have a T350 that was rebuilt a few years ago. the only problem is it's out of an 86 chev van and the speed sensor is a cable not electronic like in my 89 S10 4.3 so i was wodering if i could swap the tailstocks and have my speed sensor work. also will the flexplate and torque converters holes align so it will bolt up? thanks any help would be appreciated

no & yes

You need a 9 inch tail housing on the t-350 to replace the 4L60 trans in the S10 to get a tranny of the same length..... this is a 2 wheel drive vehicle? Or are going to have the drive shaft modified?

700/4L60 tail housing is about 1 & 3/8 inch longer than a 6 inch tail housing from a t-350 tranny

The converter bolt pattern on the flex plate will work from the 4L60 / 700 trans to the t-350 converter.

:cool:

·
Registered
576 Posts

it would be a better bang for your buck just to bite the bullet and have your transmission repaired. with gas here in the us over 2 bucks a gallon and an overdrive would get better gas than any 350 ever did it just doesn't make any cents to change from od to 3 speed, most guy's want to add an overdrive not take one out. just do some math a 350 would drop your mileage an average of at least 15 percent how long would it take to pay for repair and save that 15 percent better gas mileage?

penny wise and dollar foolish

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tranny problems

Thing is i'm a student and money is tight i'm jsut trying to get my truck on the road with what i have and the cheapest way possible.

·
likes chevy trucks & boobies
1,971 Posts
the th350 is too short, by 3"

if it wasa truck th350 then it would work, 73-up anyways

69-72 all were 6" tail

73-up truck th350 were 9" tail

cars except some wagons are 6" tail

some wagons were 12" tail but rare/uncommon

good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tranny

so i bit the bullet and bought another 700R4 from a local salvage yard... $300(canadian) with 120K on it not bad I think just have to put it in and wish for the best

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tranny

the fluid and filter will be changed right away but could you give me an idea on how to change the front seal please i'm not very tranny inclined

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
It just pops out like the seal on your harmonic balancer. It is in behind the torque convertor.

BTW, make sure that your torque convertor goes in all the way when you put it back in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts