Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cox Custom Cars
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a problem with my Dodge Ram 1500 46RE transmission.

It Sometimes won't shift out of 1st into 2nd unless I manually shift out of DRIVE to 2nd then back into DRIVE. After the manual shift, it moves into 2nd and then on to 3rd normally.

I have plenty of experience on rebuilding cars and motors, But I've never rebuild an automatic transmission.

Is it as hard as it sounds to tear one down and rebuild it with a rebuild kit? I have heard some transmission shops say it can't be done with out special tools. One being a $300 + spring compression tool. :eek:

Any ideas from you guys that work on transmissions? :welcome:

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
Countilaw said:
I've been having a problem with my Dodge Ram 1500 46RE transmission.

It Sometimes won't shift out of 1st into 2nd unless I manually shift out of DRIVE to 2nd then back into DRIVE. After the manual shift, it moves into 2nd and then on to 3rd normally.

I have plenty of experience on rebuilding cars and motors, But I've never rebuild an automatic transmission.

Is it as hard as it sounds to tear one down and rebuild it with a rebuild kit? I have heard some transmission shops say it can't be done with out special tools. One being a $300 + spring compression tool. :eek:

Any ideas from you guys that work on transmissions? :welcome:
there are special tools for this trans. A press is needed to avoid injury when disassembling the OD section.

the valve body is not one for a newbie to be working on....

:cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.