Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Chevrolet Malibu 496-TH400-9" (cruiser). 1992 Chevrolet S10 355-700r4-7.625" (daily driver).
253 Posts
I'm sure I'm going to forget something. To get the ball rolling....

-4L80e and converter
-transmission controller
-32 spline slip yoke
-driveshaft shortened
-torque arm modified/adapted
-crossmember/mount

I'm not sure if any modification needs to be done to the transmission tunnel in the floor. I haven't the slightest idea what this whole swap would cost either.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure I'm going to forget something. To get the ball rolling....

-4L80e and converter
-transmission controller
-32 spline slip yoke
-driveshaft shortened
-torque arm modified/adapted
-crossmember/mount

I'm not sure if any modification needs to be done to the transmission tunnel in the floor. I haven't the slightest idea what this whole swap would cost either.
Ok awesome I already had all those in mind just wasn’t sure of anything else. I know ill spend around 4k and thats fine. Gotta start somewhere. Thank you

·
Registered
446 Posts
Why swap to a 4L80? They are great trannys and very strong, but they take more HP to drive them and you are running a smallblock. Depends somewhat on the power of your smallblock and the weight of your vehicle. Why not look into a a 4L60 thats built (not 4L60 E). Be a lot simpler swap and should handle 500 or so HP. Its also smaller and won't require a trans controller. The 4L80 has some variations in its design over the years I would go to Amazon and order this book before proceeding.

Automotive parking light Car Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,318 Posts
Agreed, Mike. 4L80E is great, but he's looking at somewhere around $2000 until he gets he trans, controller, and all the stuff needed to signal the computer. That doesn't even take into consideration the driveshaft, the torque-arm swap parts and/or modification.

Good strong bench build on a 700r4 or 4L60 could be done at a shop for $1000 and handle more torque than a 400ci mill can make unless he's running mega boost or nitrous. The other thing I wonder is what the car will be used for. If it's 1/4 mile, he certainly doesn't need 4 speeds but if it's a street bruiser it might be nice to have. I'm thinking a TH400 is basically a non-OD 4L80E and can easily be built to take biblical levels of torque.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Transmission controller wise microsquirt from DIYAutotune offers a great amount of support with room to grow if you decide you want fuel injection, boost/nitrious, staging options, or just paddle shifters later.

Hardware wise its plug and play(almost you need tach, tps at a minimum). But the tuning potential with a microsquirt alone is impressive. Add a megasquirt 2 or 3 later to control the engine and you can do all kinds of fun things tuning wise.

I am a fan of going back and reviewing the heck out of the numbers looking for losses or to notice I may be running towards the limits of a sensors range before I actually do.

Sloppymechanics wiki has tons of tech, diyautotune has more, then your going to cut your teeth and learn even more when you get some first hand experience. You may have a few "I am an idiot what am I doing wrong" moments. But its usually something basic and once you get your first tune saved(rough tunes can be downloaded to get you started) your going to find just how easy it is.

If you do mess something up you can always go back to your previous tune. You never stop learning and by going back and reviewing you can tune for the surface.

You can also run a "hi officer" or cam friendly street tune then easily switch for 60ft, 1/8, 1/4, or "watch this" tune.
Once again going back and reviewing to see where things can be improved.

Oh and there are a few different 4l80 transmissions so controller wise look at what best transmission fits your needs. You can make anything "work". But some are better then others depending on your needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts