Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this group and very frustrated trying to find information from a chev club. I did not find anything one this subject on this bulletin board. My problem is this. I have a 57 Chev with a muncie 4speed. The car has the original bench seat. It has a Mr. Gasket shifter that is junk. I purchased a used Hurst shifter from a man that said it took it off of a Camero with a muncie 4 speed. When I try to install it the mounting holes are different than the Mr. Gasket shifter. No adapter plate came with the shifter. The holes are close when I try to bolt it to the transmission but it is apparent that I need something additional to make this conversion. Are their different types of muncie's with different hole patterns? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Art

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Welcome to the board. You are new so don’t know the ins and outs yet. This forum is intended for general introductions only. Tech questions posted here don’t get the coverage they deserve. Repost your question in the proper forum and it will have a good chance of being answered.

Post this question in the transmission forum and I can almost guarantee you get a good answer.

·
Administrator
18,633 Posts
Moved to Tranny forum

BTW........55-57 Chevies required a different shifter handle shape to clear the bench seat. I ran into the same thing with my 55. Probably pretty hard to find a shifter these days. I ended up putting buckets out of a 64 Chevy.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
different shifter brands used different mounts on the trannys. the shifter for the bench seat had a big swoop in it to get around the front of the seat.

You may have to fab a mounting plate

I had a tunnel rammed 427 powered 56 chevy just out of high school. Straight axle, tilt front end , disc brakes , big Pontiac or Olds rear end(CRS applies), sit like the gassers of the 60's..... a wild car to drive

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.