Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to paint my '48 Coupe. I've selected the new Ford "Velosity Blue metallic". It's a pretty transparent color. Today I painted the wheels over gray primer and the color came out great but it took a number of coats. When I paint the body, fenders, etc is there an under coat that could be sprayed on first that would help the paint to cover but not change the shade of the color?

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Often, newer cars have engine compartment colors that are similar but not metallic and those can be a good foundation color. Its paint, just maybe a cheaper price code on the intermix formula. Tinted sealer is another option. Inquire where you buy paint.

However...

For best appearance and durability, and to have the actual intended color there is no way around it... coats must be sprayed until "full hiding" is achieved. Sure, if you paint a piece of glass and hold a flashlight behind it, you can see light. But you have not finished spraying a car part until the color would hide a black and white checkerboard. Thats how it is. If you want full coverage, you have to keep spraying until you get it. Period.

Foundation colors or colored primers can only save expensive basecoat if they are blended into repair paint work skillfully. Even then, its a deception and in strong light hello there it is. You won't get the intended color from the can if theres not enough coats for it to be opaque.

In some cases, one brand covers better than another. Sometimes, the price does not reflect that. But you gotta buy and try to find out.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I was going to recommend laying down a metallic base, then clear, sanding that clear then shooting a single pass of blue candy over that. Then you could layer the candy in single uninterrupted passes to have say 2 12" stripes on the hood and front clip then match that on the rims. Painting the rims at the same time you painted the car to go coat for coat.
This would let you tint blue over the metallic layer by layer until you were happy. The end result would match the one section to the other section perfectly.

But I can not see any good way to shoot the candy onto rims in a single pass. There are just to many curves. Even if you managed to do something like spray 1/2 the rim on a rotating base starting and ending between the spokes of a 5 spoke rim. Spraying straight down the curves of the rim would still not allow the paint to lay evenly.

The above thing works for around 12". Like doing 10" stripes on the hood/front clip and then having a 4" down the side on like a GT500 Mustang making a "ghost" effect in different lighting situations. But as your shooting over the clear you need to do it in single passes.

Unless this thing is only coming off the trailer and going onto the grass then back onto the trailer. Painting the rims the body color is not advised. Rims live a rough life and if not for the heat of the brakes, road derbies, brake dust, or just damage that happens from rotating your tires the paint on those rims will not match the body for long.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts