Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'72 Monte Carlo, 454 bbc, Sniper EFI and Hyperspark ignition, 4:11 TH400
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, this video has been about my only reference. And a big reason I made a quick decision to buy this. But I don't think my 454 had 330hp from the factory like the RV version. It came out of a truck. Probably 100hp less.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i think as long as you have forged pistons you are good to go.
Maybe go with stronger ARP rod bolts too.
In general TFS seems to be one of those companies with a littler better quality control.
Still i would never bolt any head on without inspection.
Even AFR heads vary so much from cylinder to cylinder that most engine builders see no choice but to correct those errors.. after that, its a good head.
From Brands like AFR/TFS/Brodix etc most of the valves / guides are mostly within tolerance, but rarely all of them.
Its a sad observation i made over the years

There is no way around it

Another tip:
you can contact mark jones / vortecpro. He build 454-496 BBCs with 781/049s heads with up to 700 hp.
And for 4k USD maybe you can get a set of those plus the valvetrain too i guess with acutal "bolt on" quality...

·
Registered
'72 Monte Carlo, 454 bbc, Sniper EFI and Hyperspark ignition, 4:11 TH400
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think as long as you have forged pistons you are good to go.
Maybe go with stronger ARP rod bolts too.
In general TFS seems to be one of those companies with a littler better quality control.
Still i would never bolt any head on without inspection.
Even AFR heads vary so much from cylinder to cylinder that most engine builders see no choice but to correct those errors.. after that, its a good head.
From Brands like AFR/TFS/Brodix etc most of the valves / guides are mostly within tolerance, but rarely all of them.
Its a sad observation i made over the years

There is no way around it

Another tip:
you can contact mark jones / vortecpro. He build 454-496 BBCs with 781/049s heads with up to 700 hp.
And for 4k USD maybe you can get a set of those plus the valvetrain too i guess with acutal "bolt on" quality...
Thanks for the excellent advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts