421 - 440 of 16797 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
MrPhotographer06 said:
Ford..54?
Nope. Ford radios were all AM in '54
MARTINSR said:
I'm thinking GM in 64? I remember finding an original AMFM radio in a 64 Impala at the bone yard. Got $350 for it in Hemmings and this was about 20 years ago!
AM and FM in a single unit. Wow, that is way more advanced and a bit newer than the one I had in mind. Think a little older, Brian.
Sweet deal though :cool:

By the way, I am asking for a year and a specific vehicle make, such as Chevrolet, Buick, Olds, Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Caddy, Dodge, etc, not GM, FoMoCo, or Mopar. (that's kind of a hint...it was only in a single make of car, not a family of cars.)

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
Cadillac, around 1952

·
Registered
389 Posts
FM Radio

I'm thinking Crosley, but I can't find much information, such as year. The reason I say Crosley is because we hear the word Crosley and we think of little tiny car. Actually Crosley was a very succeful radio giant long before he started the Crosley automobile. He was also the first to build an FM radio station and was involved in the FCC development of FM broadcasting in North America. Even-though FM radio was introduced in europe in the late 1930's he is considered by many to be the father of FM broadcasting in North America.

·
Registered
740 Posts
dinger said:
Cadillac, around 1952
MrPhotographer06 said:
Chris Kemp said:
I'm thinking Crosley...
It was not a Dodge, or a Cadillac, or a Crosley.

And it didn't happen in 1952.

Crosley was a nice guess (except it wasn't built by the big three), if they had kept making cars after 1952, I'm sure they would have been the first American auto maker to offer their own FM radio in a car as a factory option.

So now we know it wasn't Caddy, Crosley, or Dodge, and it happened after 1952, but before 1964. That should help narrow it down for you all.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,415 Posts
58 T-Bird?

Brian

·
Registered
740 Posts
So far, nobody has mentioned the right make, but one of the previous three posts did hit the correct year.:rolleyes:

Final Hint:

The car was built in Michigan.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Joe G said:
So far, nobody has mentioned the right make, but one of the previous three posts did hit the correct year.:rolleyes:

Final Hint:

The car was built in Michigan.
Built in Michigan? What about an Edsel? Edsels had more electrical/electronic gizmoes then any other car of the time.

·
Registered
389 Posts
What's the definition of a born looser. He's the guy that bought an Edsel traded it in on a Corvair and then traded His Corvair on a Vega.

·
Army Strong
631 Posts
Here's a hint:
It was made by one of the 'Big three.'

so its gotta be one of the big 3's smaller companies.. cuz its a single make. not the autogroup.... not Ford overall [F L M] but ford [mustang]... so think of the break of companies.. and not Ford

·
Registered
389 Posts
Chris Kemp said:
What's the definition of a born looser. He's the guy that bought an Edsel traded it in on a Corvair and then traded His Corvair on a Vega.
The old guy that bought the Edsel and traded it in on a Corvair and then traded the Corvair on a Vega. Well he died and left the Vega to his grand son. The grand son thought that he would be smart and buy a more reliable car so he broke tradition and went European. He traded the Vega in on a Yugo.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,415 Posts
I am thinking something "special" like the Mark Lincoln in 56. But the Edsel is a good guess.

Brian

·
Registered
740 Posts
Dave57210 said:
'58 Lincoln
1958 Lincoln is correct.

In '58 you could get an FM radio receiver that was a separate unit that sat on the floor on the transmission hump. There was a cord that connected it to the AM radio in the dash. It was a factory option that other makes didn't offer until several years later. And stereo didn't become available until '65.

Nice job, Dave57210, It's your turn to ask the next question.

·
Semper Gumby
389 Posts
A Pair of AC's

Everyone knows the Shelby Cobra
Not as many folks are really familiar with the fact that it was Shelby's pairing of American muscle with a British sports car - The AC Ace - that made it possible.
so: a two-part question: What did the "AC" stand for - and when did that company make its first car?

(and - a bonus question - to make a pair of AC's: Everyone knows the name AC spark plugs and AC/Delco - what does THAT "AC" stand for?)

421 - 440 of 16797 Posts