Hot Rod Forum banner

61 - 80 of 16786 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,324 Posts
Ok, I had to google, but at least I was on the right track. Dusenburg. I was chatting with a fellow gearhead here at the computer and we thought old, twenties or thirties would be lubing chassis at only 80 miles and the first that came to our mind was Cord, but Duesenberg 1935 SJ model is the winner, and so am I!

Brian

·
Registered
369 Posts
Damn I thought that would keep you busy for at least a couple of hours!!

1929 Duesenberg model J is correct. All 470 of them from 1929 to '37 had them.

·
16,324 Posts
Oh....yah.....

Ok boys, how about this.

What is the last GM car to use a Torque Tube drive? :D

Brian

·
*WARNING* Idiot in Training!
141 Posts
I agree that the vettes still use this....But I was wondering, didn't the the 60's impala use this setup? I know that they had an "x" styled frame with the driveshaft (tube?) going through the middle...

Am I imagining this? :confused:

·
Registered
761 Posts
scr8pin_f100 said:
I agree that the vettes still use this....But I was wondering, didn't the the 60's impala use this setup? I know that they had an "x" styled frame with the driveshaft (tube?) going through the middle...

Am I imagining this? :confused:
actually the 58 thru 64 chevies use 2 driveshafts. the front one is stationary, held in place in the rear by a support and bearing through the X. the rear driveshaft moves up and down. 3 u-joints... :thumbup:

·
16,324 Posts
It is not a trick question. We are talking full on torque tube. With a rear axle, torque tube to transmission like a 40 Ford.

Joe, you are closest.

How about this, it is also the last GM car with a starter button under the gas pedal.

Brian

·
Registered
761 Posts
holy cows brian, would those be the late 40s/early50s GMC/chevy pick ups, as i recall they had those starter buttons on the floor and the torque tube???

just for your info, the early tempests and the newer vettes employ the torque tube design with the tranny at the back... :thumbup:

·
16,324 Posts
techron said:
holy cows brian, would those be the late 40s/early50s GMC/chevy pick ups, as i recall they had those starter buttons on the floor and the torque tube???

just for your info, the early tempests and the newer vettes employ the torque tube design with the tranny at the back... :thumbup:
Yeah, it was but I am talking old style torque tube. And it is not that truck, it is a car, every model they put out!

Brian

·
16,324 Posts
barnym17 said:
Curtis 73 was right on my ?, was busy yesterday and forgot to check in.
OH CRAP, I got so wrapped up in this I missed that Curtis had said the correct answer! :pain:

I'm sorry Curtis, take the floor and ask a question. :thumbup:

Brian

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Naw... that's alright... you guys are coming up with better questions than I can. I'll get a right answer one of these days and take the floor fair and square :)

But thanks for the consideration :thumbup:

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
In fact, I'll make my guess on this one...

Chevy Styline Sedan? I know they used it as late as '53, maybe through '55.

Edit... wait!

I was just talking with a buddy on the phone and he knows that Buick Riv's had them as late as '58. That's my new answer :)

61 - 80 of 16786 Posts