Hot Rod Forum banner

10141 - 10160 of 16797 Posts

·
Slow but willing learner
5,332 Posts
Here is a little known fact, I found fascinating but I am not going to be around enough to make it a question.

The four Goldberg brothers, Lowell, Norman, Hiram, and Max, invented and developed the first automobile air-conditioner. On July 17, 1946 , the temperature in Detroit was 97 degrees.

The four brothers walked into old man Henry Ford's office and sweet-talked his secretary into telling him that four gentlemen were there with the most exciting innovation in the auto industry since the electric starter.

Henry was curious and invited them into his office.

They refused and instead asked that he come out to the parking lot to their car.

They persuaded him to get into the car, which was about 130 degrees, turned on the air conditioner, and cooled the car off immediately.

The old man got very excited and invited them back to the office, where he offered them $3 million for the patent.

The brothers refused, saying they would settle for $2 million, but they wanted the recognition by having a label, 'The Goldberg Air-Conditioner,' on the dashboard of each car in which it was installed.

Now old man Ford was more than just a little anti-Jewish, and there was no way he was going to put the Goldberg's name on two million Fords.

They haggled back and forth for about two hours and finally agreed on $4 million and that just their first names would be shown.

And so to this day, all Ford air conditioners show --
Lo, Norm, Hi, and Max -- on the dash

·
Registered
16 Posts
is it the 1955 kaiser manhattan? if so, this was the last production year of kaiser-fraser passenger cars in America. However Kaiser Jeep continued in America and in the 60's took over studebakers military vehicle contract. AMC bought Kaiser jeep's US owned operations and still military vehicles today. If I am wrong there's some fun info for you any way. ;)

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
a *&@#*%@ four door :D
Close enough. It is a 1959 Kaiser Manhattan. The only difference being it wasn't made in America. Kaiser stopped U.S. production in 1955. This one was built in Argentina. In 1963 the Kaiser name came back into play by deleting the Willys name from it's Jeep branch.
The Kaiser name disappeared completely from U.S. autos in 1969 when AMC bought Jeep.

Good job!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
Is it my turn? :D
Darn straight it is and you deserve it! It took a sharp eye to get that last answer. Don't ever let it be said that YOU my friend, don't know your Kaisers!. Yes-er-ree-bob. Jump right in with a another of you mystifying quandrums for the rest of us to sweat and squirm while trying not to embarrass ourselves with a wrong guess.
Ask away and let the chip fall as they may!

·
one full turn after it squeeks
1,173 Posts
Would have posted sooner but I was laughing too hard but here goes. This shouldn't take long but it's the only thing I can come up with at the moment.

Name this man !

He learned engineering and precision machining early in life and eventually ended up working in the firearms industry. These experiences in toolmaking, tolerances and interchangability lead him to later become and inventor, engineer and automotive entrepreneur, creating and founding two Automobile Industries.

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
Would have posted sooner but I was laughing too hard but here goes. This shouldn't take long but it's the only thing I can come up with at the moment.

Name this man !

He learned engineering and precision machining early in life and eventually ended up working in the firearms industry. These experiences in toolmaking, tolerances and interchangability lead him to later become and inventor, engineer and automotive entrepreneur, creating and founding two Automobile Industries.
It's only a good laugh if it's combined with Coke shooting out your nose!

10141 - 10160 of 16797 Posts