Hot Rod Forum banner

12181 - 12200 of 16797 Posts

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
Those are not spin balancers. Those are bubble balancers. This is a spin balancer. They would spin the tire up to road speed 65mph. You'd find bubble balancers at tire shops. You could get a better balance with a spin balancer.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Lord help me! I've got nothing but kids to teach!!

Attachments

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,479 Posts
. My balancer cost $5.95... what do those newfangled contraptions cost? ... And, look, they're so new, they even have power cords... as in... electricity...

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
Those old spin balancers were dangerous . If you look at the adapters you'll notice a ring that fit inside the wheel and expands to hold it in place. Then you took the disk with the protruding knobs and it clamped to the previously installed ring with cam locks. While this mess was spinning at 60 mph you would grab the knobs and weights on the back side of the disc would move . You'd do this until the tire was balanced. There were four separate knobs to adjust. I've seen men tangle with those cam locks and break fingers. When the balancer was spinning the tire the whole front end of the car would shake rapidly until every thing was in balance.
To balance the rears you'd jack the car up and someone inside would throttle up the car in gear until the desired speed was obtained and the knobs were adjusted. On the disc there were marks that corresponded with weight measurements and that's how you would know how much weight to add to the tire. Every shop had a tire balancer.

Attachments

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,443 Posts
booo! big let down :(

we used that style spin balancer when i worked for the school bus garage back in the 70s
we never used 2 fingers to calculate the weights, ours used a strobe light :D

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts

we used that style spin balancer when i worked for the school bus garage back in the 70s
Well all you kids had those fancy new toys. Strobes for balancing weren't always around. The Seventies? Disco Strobes? Travolta style finger pointing?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Those old spin balancers were dangerous . If you look at the adapters you'll notice a ring that fit inside the wheel and expands to hold it in place. Then you took the disk with the protruding knobs and it clamped to the previously installed ring with cam locks. While this mess was spinning at 60 mph you would grab the knobs and weights on the back side of the disc would move . You'd do this until the tire was balanced. There were four separate knobs to adjust. I've seen men tangle with those cam locks and break fingers. When the balancer was spinning the tire the whole front end of the car would shake rapidly until every thing was in balance.
To balance the rears you'd jack the car up and someone inside would throttle up the car in gear until the desired speed was obtained and the knobs were adjusted. On the disc there were marks that corresponded with weight measurements and that's how you would know how much weight to add to the tire. Every shop had a tire balancer.

I still remember the sound of those spinning up and the smoke when the paddle went against the tire to stop the tire from spinning .
and yes I have seem the bumpers vibarate if yoc moved one of the disc the wrong way ,:D

·
Slow but willing learner
5,333 Posts

I had the front ires on the roadster trued and spin balanced about 4 years ago by one of the few shops locally that can still do it.

The owner, Kenny, laid his forhead against the fender as played with the knobs on the balancer. I guess everybody had their own way to "feel" the vibration to know when it was as good as they could get it.

John

·
Registered
281 Posts

Attachments

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
You guys gotta start reading the text. I told you twice it was not a hand sign. I told you that the hand in that configuration was a tool.

While balancing a wheel, the mechanic would lay his pinky finger on the front bumper and while watching his index finger vibrates from the out of balance tire, he then would make adjustments to the balancing disc until his index finger no longer moved. Then he would brake the spinning tire, add wheel weights and do it all over again.

John's mechanic leaned his noggin against the fender to "feel" the balance. Same thing

This wasn't a "West Coast" or "East Coast" thing. It was a way to "gauge" a out of balance tire. I saw it done first in the fifties and at numerous shops until the seventies. That type of balancer were replaced by newer equipment. The value of the old spin balancer was the whole rotating assy would be in balance. Wheel , tire, drum, rotor, whatever turned.

BB :rolleyes::rolleyes:

TMP is up, he thought of tire balance.

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,438 Posts
My question of "what is a bubbler", isn't automotive related, so I don't know if it is a valid trivia question. I will give a hint that it is an appliance...:D

·
Registered
281 Posts
So they are called that "down under" too...:confused:

You win.
I worked with an a merry can about 30 years ago in a factory that had a water fountain as it was a metal shop with lots dust. He used to say I'm off to the bubbler. Wth is a bubbler?? Altzeimers hasn't started yet???

Your mind retains so much everyday knowledge, and stores it there for a 30 year old bubbler. Lmao:D:D
Russ
Later gator

·
Registered
281 Posts
I worked with an a merry can about 30 years ago in a factory that had a water fountain as it was a metal shop with lots dust. He used to say I'm off to the bubbler. Wth is a bubbler?? Altzeimers hasn't started yet???

Your mind retains so much everyday knowledge, and stores it there for a 30 year old bubbler. Lmao:D:D
Russ
Later gator
I just pictured in my mind him talking to me in an accent, his name was Gordon fishcer . Gee I'm good! Lol ;);)

12181 - 12200 of 16797 Posts