Hot Rod Forum banner

16781 - 16786 of 16786 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,296 Posts
The idea is to stretch out the firing order so that you have a cylinder firing every 45 degrees instead of every 90 degrees. Motor #1 would fire at 0-90-180-270-360-450-540 and 630. Motor #2 would fire at 45-135-225-315-405-495-585 and 675. This way, it really wouldn't matter how much power was being applied to the crank by either motor because in between firing impulses with one motor, zero is being applied to the crank. This way, with staggering the firing orders, SOME power is being applied to the crank every 45 degrees instead of every 90 degrees, no matter if the power is equal or unequal.........:thumbup:

OK Tony, your turn to try to unravel it..........
WOW, that is amazing interesting! Being I am not a motor guy at all, I appreciate that explanation that makes total common sense!

Brian

·
Grand Prix user
5,347 Posts
When I was a curious kid at tractor pulls, Dad explained it as, in the case of two V8s...

timing it as a V16. Which is oversimplified but prompts the "A-ha!" in the mind.;)

Speaking of V8 trivia, I stumbled onto some intriguing previously unknown to me prewar Ford trivia yesterday, about the engine idea Henry had in mind when they set out to design an eight cylinder Model B. Tended to break spark plugs though. :confused:;):mwink::D

·
Registered
45 Posts
The most common API Service rating printed on motor oil containers is currently SN, but some oil bottles are labelled "SN Plus." What does "SN Plus" mean?
A. SN Plus and "Dexos Gen 2" labelled oils are formulated to help prevent low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI); a new type of engine knock that can occur in direct-injection turbocharged engines.

B. SN Plus oil includes additives designed to resist acid formation in hybrid vehicle engines that may not heat up adequately because they often run for only short intervals.

C. SN Plus oil contains at least 20% re-refined motor oil. Re-refined oil is used oil that goes through a refining process similar to that for crude oil to remove all contaminants.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
WOW, that is amazing interesting! Being I am not a motor guy at all, I appreciate that explanation that makes total common sense!

Brian
If you want to talk about odd couples, in outboard boat racing some years back they would couple an outboard two cycle motor to a Chrysler Hemi inside the boat. It was eventually outlawed, but by then outboard motors were making a lot more horsepower.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,296 Posts
If you want to talk about odd couples, in outboard boat racing some years back they would couple an outboard two cycle motor to a Chrysler Hemi inside the boat. It was eventually outlawed, but by then outboard motors were making a lot more horsepower.
That is as odd as it gets!

Brian

16781 - 16786 of 16786 Posts