Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been having soem problems cooling my sbc. Currently I have a edelbrock victor water pump, and a 3" core triple pass aluminum radiator. It keeps my car cool when I'm driving around in coldish weather, but at idle it slwoly goes up. I have a permacool 16" fan, and was thinking about putting another one in there, since it flows 2950 cfm. But then I was looking at a dual fan setup with a shroud, but both fans flow only like 2600. Should I use a shroud or should i run the 16" and a 10" Or any other solutions?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Ditto!
I even swaped out a pretty fancy alluminum 4 blade for a good ole 6 blade metal fan and dropped my car from the 220 range to a nice ole 170-180 all the time.
If you can, switch your electric fan to a pusher and mount it on the front, then add a regular mechanical setup. HG

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,618 Posts
Think about it, a stock mechanical fan can draw as much as 15 hp from the engine, and you replaced it with a 1/8 hp electric.

Ditch the electric and run a STOCK (not heavy duty) thermal fan clutch and you'll be happy.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,635 Posts
I'd be wondering if you can pull any air thru the rad with an electric fan.

3" triple pass seems a bit much.

I even be willing to bet that you pump can move water thru the rad fast enough. Water to slow can't create enough turbulance. Try running 1:1 pulleys or even overdriven.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts