Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a SBC 350, and 350 Auto trans. Holley carb #3310 (4160) carb. The car idles fine in park but falls on it's face when put in drive. The cam card is attached. I have checked for vaccum leakes and have adjusted the float level. I am stumped. When I set the the idle speed in park I am at about 1300 rpms then I put it in drive and it goes to 600-700 rpms or it dies. I do not know what else to check. I have played with the mixture screws and my timing is set at 12 BTDC. What am I overlooking? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
ideling

are you able to have someone hold the throttle once the vehicle is put in gear?

if so what is the reaction? does it feel sluggish or very slow to respond? is the carb new? how are you setting your mix screws? and last but not least, when you say you are setting the idle circuit, are you adjusting the screw on the bottom of the plate?
tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
that too

the torque converter would be my last idea, but by the looks of the cam card it isn't quite big enough to require any stall. however if something in the converter come apart that is something totally different.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys. The carb is new. I have not tochedany mixture screws under the plate. I am working on the car myself. The TC is the stock stall speed. My tranny guy said that being that the car was not a heavy car (63 Nova) that it would do. He said it was a heavy duty Converter.

·
Registered
890 Posts
SuperSport said:
...When I set the the idle speed in park I am at about 1300 rpms then I put it in drive and it goes to 600-700 rpms or it dies.

...my timing is set at 12 BTDC. What am I overlooking?
I'd like to know more about your ignition system, you state 12 degrees BTDC, I'm assuming that's initial. Do you have vacuum advance? What about centrifugal? What's the total timing at idle and at RPM?

Try this test, at idle advance the distributor until the engine sounds it's best. Tighten down the distributor, idle down the carb. and put it in gear, it should idle in gear around 800 RPM.

Don't drive the car this way, just find out what ignition advance it likes at idle. Once you determine that you can re-curve the distributor accordingly. I hope this hepls.

·
Build it right the first time
227 Posts
i would get a 2500 stall converter, your cam is almost exactly the same as a comp 280H and it requires a stall converter....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts