Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm looking for some ideas on a build and was wondering if its acceptable to use class-8 truck tie rods and tie rod ends in suspension links instead of heim joints? Seems like they'd be cheaper, dirt-resistant and grease able.

Any thoughts?

Tommy
Salem, VA

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Guys, I'm looking for some ideas on a build and was wondering if its acceptable to use class-8 truck tie rods and tie rod ends in suspension links instead of heim joints? Seems like they'd be cheaper, dirt-resistant and grease able.

Any thoughts?

Tommy
Salem, VA
Yes, I have built several light cars with solid axles and tie rod ends. They last a lot longer than heims, dirt stays out and don't rattle.:thumbup: Have also used Ford tractor tie rod/steering ends for heavy duty stuff.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,682 Posts
Precision as well as others make greasable heims and if you get the seals for heims, a graphite dry lube and the seals take care of the rapid wear problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
truck tie rod ends

I was thinking of using tie rod ends because a friend is giving me 12-15 brand-new complete tie rods for Volvo class 8 trucks. If I go four link front and rear I'll need 8 rods and 16 ends. Buying heim joints would get pricey quick. AND since my wife doesn't know about this yet, I need to keep the money-spending on the dl. :spank:

Tommy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts