Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
From the middle of the world
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble finding a 4 speed for my '81 el camino, the only ones that are abundant down here are C10 pickup 4 speed trannys, you know the ones with the granny gear y think they are the SM465 or something.
What if I install one of them in my elky? it's got a blown 350 engine, sure it take the power but isn't it too low? would it drag on the floor?
I saw a couple of ford's toploader trannys also but, is it possible to mate them to a chevy bellhousing?
Please advise.
Augusto.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
SM 465 transmissions are too big for your trans tunnel, they are very tall. They are very heavy and shift slow because the gears are big. First gear in those is about 6:1, so you will never neeed to use it. IIRC the snout and bolt pattern is different from the car, so you would need to get a bell housing also. and the yoke is a fixed type, so you'll need to get a driveshaft made.

IMO, the last trans you want to put in your car is an SM 465.

You can use the toploader, but you will still need to adapt a clutch disc, bellhousing and driveshaft.

If it were me, I'd keep looking for a GM 4 speed that will use more readily available parts.

Hope this helps,
mikey

·
Registered
639 Posts
I ran a 'bull nosed' top loader in the 80s because I got sick of blowing muncies. Then I split the top loader through the case on a firm 1/2 shift and went t400.
Dellow automotive in Sydney has bellhousings, hyd clutch mounts etc. The clutch is easy, use a 168t chev flywheel, 11 inch ford single disc and 11inch chev pressure plate. I found both chev and ford t/outs the wrong length so I used one from a 68 M/B 280s with only minor mods to the dellow fork. If the clutch is over heavy then the t/out bearing length or lever ratio is wrong.
CRS make parts for this swap too but I prefer Dellows quality. I know some Americans reading this would wonder why this swap is popular. Over here GMH only ran the muncie in one model (HQ Monaro GTS350 71/74) and the sT10 as a race only part for A9X Toranas. Ford built thousands of t/l equipped falcons so the stock is there. I had to import a 2nd gear for my M22 and a cluster for my wide ratio M20, parts as well as gearbags are rare.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
haha interesting, would love to see pics of a top loader in a car lol
pretty crazy and alot of PITA to make it work

crazy

lol

i am amused :D

the 465 trans was from 1947 to 67 in the 20 series and up trucks/2500 series and up

very common and cheap and strong, 180lbs without bellhousing

good luck

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
It sounds like Ian Riordan has the program dialed in :thumbup: You might want to give wilcap a call if you can't get ahold of the folks Ian referred you to.
They do some wild adapters.

http://www.wilcap.com/webdoc2.htm

Nice guy, good product and service :thumbup:

also,
Mcleod has some modular bellhousings that might have the correct trans plate available.

http://www.mcleodind.com/2006_product_guide/McLeod_2006Catalog_lr_Revise.pdf

That stuff sounds more expensive than finding the right trans for your car. :(

Later, mikey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.