Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a 331 or evan a 347. I read where most guys say that a 302 based block can't hold big horsepower. But then I hear some guys using a stock block and having cars with 600 plus horses? I don't want to build a 351. I would rather stick with the 331 but I am worried that the motor won't hold up. I want to be in the 550/ 600 horse range. Anybody with input on this?

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I saw a pic on the net while back of a 302 block that cracked in 1/2 along the cam bearing area. Best I remember it was a turbo or supercharger engine. Most oe blocks are only going to handle big power for so long untill something lets go. There are some exceptions, but most have their weak points.

Chris

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
strong 302

There are a lot of 500-600 hp 302's running around out there with essentially stock bottom ends. Unless you are planning to pump 800-900 hp out of it, I wouldnt worry about it. IF you feel insecure, go with a stud girdle for the bottom end.

Those 500-600 hp 302's were just that, 302's, not stroker engines. The bottom end is strong enough to handle 450 plus hp 347's, without any changes.

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
If you are worried about your stock 302 block, a cheaper alternative to the Ford Racing Block or a World Block would be to find a old Mexican 302 block. They put them in almost every kind of vehicle. Finding one can be kind of tough, but not impossible. Try looking in old Ford Vans since the motors in these are mostly overlooked in junkyards. There will be a couple of bulges below the heads on the front of the block .There will also be a MEX cast in the lifter valley and the third digit should be a M, like D2ME-6049....I really wouldn't worry too much stock 302 blocks, they are pretty stout and can take a good beating. If you plan on pushing alot of HP or running this thing at 7000RPM for hours on end then go with a better block.

·
Registered
15 Posts
DSS 306

Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford magazine chronicled a 9-second stock block .030 over 302 Mustang with over 800 passes. It featured a carfully tuned DFI fuel sytem and a 300 hp nitrious shot. The lower end was strengthened with ARP main studs, and main stud girdle, along with a Fluidampner crank balancer. Shifts are done @ 7100 RPM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts