Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to identify a number of items on my recently purchased 33 Ford Custom, one of them being the trunk electric lift and support mechanism. I am unable to find any identifying info on the device. I googled it and can't find anything similar. I suspect it may be an older piece. Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks, John

Car Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
That appears to be an older window regulator with a longer rod attached. What year I don't know.

A down side to electric trunk openers is the battery lives there. Dead battery or malfunction of the lift can cause problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That appears to be an older window regulator with a longer rod attached. What year I don't know.

A down side to electric trunk openers is the battery lives there. Dead battery or malfunction of the lift can cause problems.
I was thinking the same thing about the battery. I'll have to give that a lot of thought as the paint is immaculate and I'd hate to screw that up....

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Two different types of failure, electrical or mechanical. The electrical can be solved by providing an outside positive terminal like some race cars have. Just jumper and hit the switch. Of course if a wire has fallen off the motor that's a different ball game. Some builders have rigged up a remote mechanical disconnect which will disconnect the trunk support rod from the rest of the system allowing the trunk lid to be raised by hand.

For simplicity I use a VW hood (trunk?) latch with a cable to a pull behind the pass. seat.

By the way, how about more pictures of the car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two different types of failure, electrical or mechanical. The electrical can be solved by providing an outside positive terminal like some race cars have. Just jumper and hit the switch. Of course if a wire has fallen off the motor that's a different ball game. Some builders have rigged up a remote mechanical disconnect which will disconnect the trunk support rod from the rest of the system allowing the trunk lid to be raised by hand.

For simplicity I use a VW hood (trunk?) latch with a cable to a pull behind the pass. seat.

By the way, how about more pictures of the car?
Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to think about how I want to proceed. I like the clean look with no external latch, but then again I like the look of the latch on the trunk.....I have external positive and negative terminals so jumping the car is easy.

Here are a couple more shots:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Nice, right stance and great paint scheme.

No need to add an external handle if you do go the manual route. I've used a VW latch with cable and handle located behind seat inside.

·
Registered
1964 Thunderbird, 390 FE
221 Posts

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,501 Posts
check to see if the seat back is easily removed for access to the trunk area. you definitely don't want to destroy anything in case of a mechanical failure and fail it will. 58truk is shaved, there are 3 ways to open my doors, trunk lid and tonneau cover; electrically, cable release inside and cable release outside. gas door has 2 cables to open it in case one fails. bicycle brake cable and sheathing can snake thru doors, floors and firewalls without any problem, as long as the ends of the sheathing are secure.

Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

1 - 8 of 8 Posts