Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this riding lawnmower, and I wanna make it faster. It's got:
an engine:belt: to transmission:chain:to axle(differential)

any way, at first decided to make the input pulley for the transmission bigger but, it's too hard to get to the screws n the pulley's already pretty big

So i tried making the sprocket to the axle bigger. The casing is basically these 2 pieces of plastic sandwiching the chain. i am trying to take the chain casing apart but but something's in the way and won't let me split it.

any tips,

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
hopped up mower.........

I would suggest searching the web for a racing mower site...these guys here work on cars and trucks and may not have any experience in the mower field...I just put gas and oil in my mower and let it mow the lawn???

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Re: hopped up mower.........

tm454 said:
I would suggest searching the web for a racing mower site...these guys here work on cars and trucks and may not have any experience in the mower field...I just put gas and oil in my mower and let it mow the lawn???
Tazz
Rat Rods Rule!

They must have a site, Mower racing is getting big.
I was in a body shop about 2 years ago and they were working on a Briggs & Strattion 7 hp. Milling the heads, shaving the head for more valve clearance and welding bigger lobes to cam.
Out of that 7hp they said they could get 65HP.

My 16hp mows the yard just find!

·
Administrator
18,426 Posts
Checy_Guy said:
To make it faster you would put a smaller sproket on not a bigger one....

Yeah, and then your torque will suffer. Better to shave the head for more compression and put high test gas in it.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
poncho62 said:
Yeah, and then your torque will suffer. Better to shave the head for more compression and put high test gas in it.
Your right on, one thing this shop told me is they we blending urethane reducer with racing fuel and said it made a big difference.
My suggestion was they might try a retarder with a high amount of MEK in it for better burning.
Another note they had tuned headers for these things!

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
I'd prolly put on a slightly smaller pulley on mine; it's still going to be used for mowing. (it's a 3speed, not hydrostatic)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Shave the cylinder, put a smaller head gasket on, run headers (lol) and use racing fuel. You can also buy cranks and heads for small engines. I'vee seen them on the internet somewhere but I couldnt tell ya where. Good luck,

Mike

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
363 Posts
how much money you got to do this and what size engine? who made the engine? them little motors can RPM pretty good with the right parts, so i would let her scream then play with the ratio's. you can buy billet cranks, rods, and forged pistons for them as well as big cams (comp cams sells em) as for the block i would port them as they are pretty nasty from the factory i would give the valves a better valve job by back cutting the valves. if you want to see some pics of mine their are a few in my project journal...

·
hotrodder 4 life
169 Posts
if it is a 2-cycle, it might just have intake and exhaust ports in the cylinder walls. you can enlarge these for more power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts