Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have slight dilemma. I'm trying to tighten this oil pressure switch. This is where I'm getting lost.
12-18 Nm which is 8.7-12 in/lb according to this picture. I have a ft/lb torque wrench so which setting do I set it at? There's 12 inches in a ft so if I divide 12/12=1 ft/lb?? That can't be right, it has to be tighter than that. Can you guys help me out on this one? Thanks

Attachments

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
mitmaks said:
So I have slight dilemma. I'm trying to tighten this oil pressure switch. This is where I'm getting lost.
12-18 Nm which is 8.7-12 in/lb according to this picture. I have a ft/lb torque wrench so which setting do I set it at? There's 12 inches in a ft so if I divide 12/12=1 ft/lb?? That can't be right, it has to be tighter than that. Can you guys help me out on this one? Thanks
12 in lbs. is 1 ft lb. so your decifering is correct. The Nm stands for Newton Meters. Your switch probably is a 1/8" NPT fitting, possibly brass so they will break fairly easy.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1ft lb is not much at all. I can tighten that by hand lol I would think it needs to be tighter cause there's so much oil pressure at that point and you don't want it to leak

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
35pontiaccoupe said:
Your drawing is wrong about the conversion to in lb. I think thy meant ftlb instead. A n-m is 0.737 ft-lb so that would be about 9-13 ft-lb.
That's good point also. That was one of my thoughts but I didn't think they would mess up on factory manual...but who knows...

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
mitmaks said:
That's good point also. That was one of my thoughts but I didn't think they would mess up on factory manual...but who knows...
The standard for 1/8" NPT is 9-10 ft lbs. but it really is not practical to torque a fitting IMHO. There are too many variables that will affect the torque. I would just apply some sealer to the threads and tighten it up with a small wrench and use good judement.

·
Psychomotors
678 Posts
S10 Racer said:
The standard for 1/8" NPT is 9-10 ft lbs. but it really is not practical to torque a fitting IMHO. There are too many variables that will affect the torque. I would just apply some sealer to the threads and tighten it up with a small wrench and use good judement.
Finally a voice of common sence IMHO :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.