Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1960 ford truck and am going to get a 351 engine. Right now I have 370 gears in the ford 9 inch rear end with a 28 spline axles. I'm being told to go with a c6 tranny but I found a chart saying the gears are the same in the C4,5, and 6 trannys so what is the major differance in the 3 transmissions? Also where can I find out what a good combo (tranny and gears) is for this 351 engine???? Help

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
a c6 would be a great and inexpensive wayto go

and if it were my truck id leave it 3.70, thats a good performance ratio for normal street driving :D

it may run a little bit high rpm on the highway, but its a tradeoff for performance,

others will have their own opinions ideas on this subject just like i do :D

what you choose really depends on what you want out of the truck

but i think a 351 and C6 and the 3.70 would be a great daily driver/street combo, and thats coming from me, a person who is by no means a ford guy hehe

and because i am not a ford guy i cant help any with the differences between those trannies, but i know that the C-6 is a good one

good luck :D

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I,m with Fast, leave the 3.70 in there but you may want to upgrade to a posi someday. I,m not a Ford guy either but comparing a C-4 to a C-6 is like comparing a turbo 350 to a 400. The C-6 is just a heavier duty trans, was found mostly behind big blocks and hipo motors. That being said, a properly built C-4 will not have a problem behind a mildly built 351 Windsor.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
estrellam said:
I have a 1960 ford truck and am going to get a 351 engine. Right now I have 370 gears in the ford 9 inch rear end with a 28 spline axles. I'm being told to go with a c6 tranny but I found a chart saying the gears are the same in the C4,5, and 6 trannys so what is the major differance in the 3 transmissions? Also where can I find out what a good combo (tranny and gears) is for this 351 engine???? Help
Which 351? C and W use small block, or M uses big block? Different bellhousing patterns.

C-5 is lockup C-4....... none behind big blocks
C-6 is bigger stronger..... Some behind small blocks.
FMX (old cast iron case) used behind big block 351M/400 in cars through mid 70s. Some in small block cars. Have a 351W 70 Galaxie FMX.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.