Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to build a twin turbo small block chevy i have pondered the idea of buying shorty headers and turning them upside down and i have also thought about buying upswept headers to have the turbo sit right above the valve cover
i think with the shorties the alternator might be an obstacle and also fabbing the flanges on the ends of the header
what is the best way are there a cheap set of headers
keep in mind is going in a 76 corvette but if it doesnt fit i'll just wait and put it in another car

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,304 Posts
Trying to support the insane thermal and stress load of a turbo on cheap shorty headers is not possible. Spending thousands of dollars on a twin turbo setup only to skimp on headers is a recipe for real disaster. Then, once you plan the entire plumbing scheme based on those cheap headers and they fail, you're looking at re-re-engineering the whole thing anyway.

Do it right the first time. Read "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. That's a great primer.

·
Registered
650 Posts
curtis73 said:
Trying to support the insane thermal and stress load of a turbo on cheap shorty headers is not possible. Spending thousands of dollars on a twin turbo setup only to skimp on headers is a recipe for real disaster. Then, once you plan the entire plumbing scheme based on those cheap headers and they fail, you're looking at re-re-engineering the whole thing anyway.

Do it right the first time. Read "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. That's a great primer.
This is very good advice, you cant just hang the turbos out there, they must have support, and the distance from the head isnt just random, it must be calculated along with the planned turbo size to have a system that functions correctly.

The rear mount turbo systems are relatively new, but seem to perform quite well, and it keeps the underhood temps a lot lower.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wouldnt mounting them in the rear create a plumbing nightmare what would become of my intercooler where would that go

what is the most practical choice when taking everything into account

·
Registered
47 Posts
We did this kind of thing all the time in the import realm - in ref to your shorty header suggestion. Honestly, I would get a set of the old cast ramhorn intake manifolds, flip those over and then get a T3 adapter flange made to mate the turbo to the header. The cast ramhorns won't need any bracing to be safe with the snails perched on top.

You can do the shorty header thing, but that's still going to bring those turbos up pretty high in the bay. If you've got the room, then weld two 3/8" pieces of steel rod from the collector (chop it off and weld your T3 flange in it's place) to the manifold flange for bracing and I would run another bead around all of the welds, then boost all day long.

Ramhorn advantages - no need for bracing
Ramhorn disadvantages - adapter plate as most folk can't/won't weld cast iron

Shorty advantages - it's steel and easily modified with common garage tools
Shorty disadvantages - taller footprint, requires a little bracing and reinforcement of the factory welds.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in regards to the rear mounted turboes due to the incresed cooling is that to say that you can run this setup with out an intercooler

as far as the shorty headers setup goes the main concern is the weight of the turbo hanging on the header and the excessive heat that is made

?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Pupsvette76 said:
in regards to the rear mounted turboes due to the incresed cooling is that to say that you can run this setup with out an intercooler?
Check here, http://www.ststurbo.com/ , they should be able to answer all you questions about the rear mount systems

Do you intend to run EFI to control the fuel and timing under boost. Carb blow thru systems work, but EFI allows much better control.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just that fact that the exhaust gas has to travel all the way back to the back of the car before it will beging spooling the turbo with an engine mounted turbo the exhaust gas does have to travel far before entering the turbo

·
More for Less Racer
20,932 Posts
Pupsvette76 said:
just that fact that the exhaust gas has to travel all the way back to the back of the car before it will beging spooling the turbo with an engine mounted turbo the exhaust gas does have to travel far before entering the turbo
Did you even check things out at the STS site?? Everything you are being told about rear mounting turbos is correct, with correctly sized exhaust scrolls lag is not an issue.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just trying to learn something new and trying apply the automotive knowledge i have to the subject i would appreciate patience and i really appreciate the help thank to other on this forum i have fixed other problem i have had

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well since everybody is already talking bouot turbos i have another question with the rear mount turbos how would the oil in and oil out lines go will it be a problem that the are so far away will it damage them also can i use one line to the turbos and tee it off for them to share for the oil IN line or doe they need totally separate oil lines for each

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i see for the oil lines they require an oil pump to return oil back to the engine what would you do for an oil pump if you already have a turbo kit what kind of pump would you use where would you get it or would you just not use one would the oil pressure in the lines just push the oil through the turbo and back through the return line

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.