Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1972 GMC pick up truck long wheelbase. 308 rear gear, 350 turbo transmission with a shift kit, and a 1900 stall. The engine is a 350 with flat top pistons, 272/454 cam, Holley contender intake, 650 Holley carb. I have a K&N air filter, and headers. I really don't like the sound I get out of this engine. I know I like the 280/480 comp sound. I want this truck to go a little faster too. I'm gettining 373 gears. If I put a 280/480 cam in the engine will this work to make the truck faster, and sound better. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
2500 stall with the new cam. Those upgrades should do you some good. Keep in mind your gear ratio is getting hogged down in comparison with a car, because a truck has large tires.

k

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
the diameter isnt there but the mass is. thats whata 27" tire, with a 3.73 that should be good. might even want to go 3.90.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
savman1 said:
275/60's are the tires.

savy its a 15" rim right?

i was taking a stab at it, the point being they arent mudders or XA/T, 31+" bad boys. killer i hold your oppinions in the highest respect. peace

·
Registered
76 Posts
Killer has a logical point. A 15" rim is a start but how wide it is will determine how tall the 275/60's will stand. On an 8" rim they will be shorter than on a 6" rim. Small details make the difference especially during your 60ft times on the track.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish someone would just pick out a cam that they've used before in something similar to what I got. When I look in Jegs, or Summit, how they list Comp, Crane, and Lunatti differently. I just want this engine to make more horsepower than what it is with a cam change.

I forgot to say what kind of heads I have. They're 67 cc straight plug Pro Topline Heads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts