Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seen the amatuer video footage of those waves from the Earthquake.As of this morning the death toll was OVER 20,000. Just a few days ago was a thread on 25,000 members to HR.com.That is a massive amount of lost lives. The video I saw was from a upper level hotel room.The waves were crashing in at over 20'.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
I saw that on the news this morning. If I heard right they said that almost 1 million people were displaced. One man stated that in just a few seconds there was over three feet of water standing in rooms in a hotel.

·
Hauling A55 BURNING GASS!!!
235 Posts
they should of built big towers that when the waves come in everyone climbs up and avoids the water. and have people up top watching 24-7 for big waves.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Warnings were gave.Only two countries except responses from Hawaii though.That is where they moniter theses things from.In the Indian Ocean they do not have the bouys set up to monitor earthquakes.The moniters that picked up the quake were in the Pacific Ocean.The speeds can reach in excess of 600 MPH for the waves.Insane.

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
yea thats a big bummer some of the video i've seen are just amazing and damn scarry.

i'm sure we will all be thinking of them.:(

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
It is sad to see people suffer but even more amazing that with the technology and early warning systems that so many people perish.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some of the countries are not in the Network.They do not participate in the technology.Weird,if someone called me and said that my house was on fire I would check.The center that detects these occurances stated that the Indian Ocean does not have the bouys that pick up seismic activity.Sad that something this tragic has to happen to make some places wake up and get on board.India was one of the countries that are not in the network.That country does not take safetey too awful serious.Ever seen one of the trains with all the people hamging onto the front,top,side.They crash all the time.CRAZY.

·
Administrator
18,428 Posts
It's the "Third World".....................they just don't have the technology and communications that we have. Even with the early warning systems, you could never get the word out to all those people. The sad part is, that the rich afluent people probably got an early warning, whereas the poor are left to fend for themselves..................
BTW....it happens here too, just not on the same scale.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
What makes it so bad is that there will be many washed out to sea that will be unaccounted for, for a long while. So the death toll will climb drastically after things calm dowm. It''s just unimaginable that a tsunami can move 500-600 mph. Combine that with a 40'-50' or higher wave moving at that speed.....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I mightbe a little unclear on the specifics but doesn't that place in Colorado detect the location and severity of any siesmic activity anywhere on the planet? If they recorded an earthquake in the middle of the ocean, they should know within minutes the areas a tidal wave might hit. I'm sure the lack of communications would have left the poor people without sufficient warning, but there were no doubt plenty of people that knew in advance that it was coming.
A little off the subject but I watched a show on global warming and if the present trend continues, all of the coastal citys will be under water by the end of this century.

·
Hotrodders.com Administrator
3,201 Posts
Really a horrible tragedy. The scope of it is almost unimaginable in First World nations.

In a news/science situation like this, Wikipedia is one of the best sources.

Here is their page on what they're terming the "2004 Indian Ocean earthquake", the biggest in 40 years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake .

And, here is their page on tsunamis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsunami .

Here's a snippet from the first page, that serves to explain the lack of preparedness:

Unlike the Pacific Ocean there is no organized alert service covering the Indian Ocean. This is in part due to there having been no major tsunami events since 1883 and an emphasis on developing a Tropical cyclone warning system.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Charity should not always be reciprocal. Because someone else doesn't do the right thing, does not necessarly release us from it.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
yes, and we sent /gave aid.

then we were critizied for what we gave, which was more than any other country. why not critize them!!!!! indnesia then called us cheap. *********, if we sent aid they would probably just kill them anyway.

maybe that region should have invested in a bouyei or two. they seem to have enough for guns.

DAMMIT ,we were right! we did right!

the only nation deserving of the right to critizem, is one that has donated more money to a foreign disaster. that would be the only way one could judge! period!

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
Regardless of weather we gave aid to them or not, it's still a tragedy and should not in any way de-humanize the scope of the situation.

We are very lucky here to not have suffered anything like this. The estimates are over 40,000 dead.

Children ripped out to sea and drown. To politicize the untimely deaths of our brothers and sisters is wrong and I have to speak against it.

We should all count our blessings for the lives we have.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
yes and be thankful. it is a terrible tragety. chills me to the bone

"Children ripped out to sea and drown. To politicize the untimely deaths of our brothers and sisters is wrong and I have to speak against it. "

yes, i know. that is why i had to say something! what indonesia and Sri Lanka were saying was politicizing the event. a terrible thing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
This was unbelievable 'til reality began to sink in - the death toll stands at 40,000+ and goes up by the hour. The towns that surround the Indian Ocean lean heavy on tourism so no doubt, there were Americans caught up in this thing too.
I've got lots of relatives and friends who live in coastal communities. We all have respect for what the Pacific is capable of dishing out. I've seen clam diggers knocked off their feet by "sneaker" waves, heard of people being crushed by rolling logs in high surf, heard tell of lost boats on the high seas and pleasure craft being lost to the Columbia bar but I've never seen anything like this before. Even the aftermath of Mount Saint Helens back in May 18 1980, that killed 57 people, was small potatoes in comparison to this one.

Finding and dealing with the dead won't be easy, feeding and housing the survivors will be worse.
If there is one time when the UN could maybe show their flip side and do something constructive, it would be NOW. Member Nations should anti-up EQUALLY, team up with the Red Cross and use helicopters and equipment to help deal with disaster efforts.
:(

1 - 20 of 57 Posts