Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body know where i can get Tubing Bender dies "ONLY". Don't necessarily need the whole set-up just the dies. I have an idea to build the rest myself. I'll post the idea when I have pics. I would need dies for 1 5/8", 1 1/4", 3/4" O.D. for sure and others sizes would be nice. Harbor Freight has a cheap set for $99.99 I could get the dies from. Just thought there might be some dies laying around somewhere not being used anymore. Post here or send me a PM. Thanks pro70z28

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Going through that myself

The proper dies are available from pro tools or Jd squared..tubing is different size than pipe so it takes the proper die to bend tube succesfully..

If you are bending DOM or 4130 you will soon appreciate the correct dies as it gets real spendy to make a mistake in that stuff..

OMT

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cboy said:
The more I think about this the more I think I might just find a local builder and have them bend what I need. I don't have enough bends to make to make it worthwhile to buy dies, .............LQQks like....

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Great link

That is not all that far from here..I just might drive down there and check them out..:thumbup:

The model 3 bender at 295 ..hey I can't build anything like that for that much..!!!

OMT

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Great link

OneMoreTime said:
That is not all that far from here..I just might drive down there and check them out..:thumbup:

The model 3 bender at 295 ..hey I can't build anything like that for that much..!!!

OMT
The way I'm reading it the bender is 295 and the dies are sold separately.

http://www.lowbucktools.com/hydbender.html

These guys have 1 for 499.00. comes with 1 die. Additional dies sold separately.

I only have a few bends to make. If you plan to use it allot ..... looks like a good deal.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I'm with you Rro70 regarding the cost/benefit ratio of tube benders. Seems to me it is one of the costliest tools in the shop when you look at the amount of work you can accomplish per dollar spent. This is especially true for the hobbyist who might only use a bender 2 or 3 times a year. (OMT has already heard an earful of my bender rant in some private emails we have shared - so sorry, OMT, for your having to hear this all again). I have a pretty decent Mig welder that cost about the same as the jd2 bender and a couple sets of dies. But I can probably accomplish 100 times the amount of work with my welder than I would ever do with the bender.

The unfortunate thing is, there just aren't many good "backyard" alternatives for making nice, kink free bends.

Dewey

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Justifications

Dunno if we can "justify" our expenses..but hey this hobby can be "way too much fun"

So enjoy what we do and not worry about it..:D

OMT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.