Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
That is not a tubing bender!!!!!!!!!

That is not a tubing bender, it is a pipe bender. The sizes for pipe and tubing are different. Tubing goes by od and pipe uses id. 1 1/2 tubing wont fit in a 1 1/2 pipe die and vice versa.

·
Registered
734 Posts
web01_99 said:
That is not a tubing bender, it is a pipe bender. The sizes for pipe and tubing are different. Tubing goes by od and pipe uses id. 1 1/2 tubing wont fit in a 1 1/2 pipe die and vice versa.
Can't use it for exhaust but 30.00 is a great deal for the tool.

Priced out on HF 99.00-159.00 depending on size.

Doesn't take up much space and you will find a use for it!

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I've heard of guys making a liner for the dies on those benders to bring them down to a size that will fit the tube OD.

You bend a piece of pipe with the die, then cut it so it fits on the inside of the die. Sometimes you have to mess with them a little with a grinder to fit the OD of the tube. You can get a little tighter bend in a piece of thinwall tube that way.

Without the liner, they'll usually bend heavywall tube without kinking, but bending thinwall becomes a problem because the wall collapses.
Those "Y" frame benders will also do square tubing as long as you don't try to bend it in a tight radius. I've seen the square tube split a cheap die if you ask it to do too much.

I have an old greenlee model 778(?) segmented rigid conduit bender that I picked up at a garage sale for 25.00. It is the granddaddy of those HF ones. It has to weigh 7000# :p . I'm going to make a few dies for it someday and that baby will bend some tube! Right now I'm next door to a muffler shop with a hydraulic bender, and I have a hossfield bender, so making dies isn't a priority.

I have used it to put some shallow bends in square tube, it worked great.

Later, mikey

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
This could be used for exhaust (or any other tube / pipe) but it takes a little bit of effort and a little mess.

If you get the exhaust tube and...
weld a cap on one end,
fill it with sand,
weld a washer on the other end,
weld a nut at the opening of the washer,
and run a bolt through the nut, through the washer into the pipe packed with sand (to really pack the sand in the pipe tight), then you can bend just about any pipe or tube that you could ever want without kinking.

It takes a little effort, but for the price it is almost worth the effort.

Best of luck,

Joe Ferrero
Geneseo, NY

·
Registered
151 Posts
Beenaway2long said:
Just be ABSOLUTELY SURE that the sand is dry. Steam does nasty thing to human body parts, and sometimes steel parts. (Kaboom!)
That is true. When you are welding, weld the solid cap first, then the nut on the washer, and then that assembly (without the bolt) so there is an open end. I also forgot to mention to remove the caps before using the pipe in the exhaust or other parts that you are making.

Best of luck,

Joe Ferrero
Geneseo, NY

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.