Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have any info on the basics of tuck shrinking sheet metal? I have looked at a few sites but haven't been able to find anything. I don't have any other shrinking devices (other than a shrinking disk) but I'm looking for somthing that will do some more drastic shrinking (like what is required for the cab corner that I am fabricating for my 1980 GMC 4 X 4).

Kev

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
metalmeet.com

Go over there and there is a world of info on sheet metal work..like how to make a set of tucking forks and use them..These guys even have lists of tools that are needed by beginning sheet metal workers and have all the info you need to have..

This job shoudl be relatively easy to do..

hope it works out for you..:thumbup:

·
Ferguson Coachbuilding
388 Posts
Tuck shrinking

Hi Kev,
Go to www.metalmeet.com
Use the search function and when the page opens, type 'tuck shrinking' in the proper box and it will find every post on the subject. Do another search on 'tucking tool' and you will find all sorts of posts and pics on those too. You may even go to the gallery and do a search on both of these phrases to find even more info. It's much easier to show you in person than to explain it, right Jeff!!!

Randy Ferguson
Metalshaping & Kustom Paint
www.metalmeet.com

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Well Yeah

Randy,
Sure is easier to see it done in person..but then the metalmeet site has a world of info and if one just gets the basic tools together and beats metal one can figure out a lot..:welcome:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tuck Shrinking

Thanks for the info guys. I tried to check the site but it's down for now - couldn't access it. I'll try again later.

I did make a tuck tool out of an old leaf spring - cut the forks out of the end of it, rounded them off etc. I tried a few minutes ago to attach a picture of it but couldn't get it to work, and then it erased my whole message etc. when I tried to preview it.

Anyway, I guess the big question is - is there a right / wrong way to hammer the tucks back flat again?

Kev

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Re: Tuck Shrinking

Kev67 said:
Thanks for the info guys. I tried to check the site but it's down for now - couldn't access it. I'll try again later.

I did make a tuck tool out of an old leaf spring - cut the forks out of the end of it, rounded them off etc. I tried a few minutes ago to attach a picture of it but couldn't get it to work, and then it erased my whole message etc. when I tried to preview it.

Anyway, I guess the big question is - is there a right / wrong way to hammer the tucks back flat again?

Kev

http://metalmeet.com/ do a cut an paste on this link and see if it woorks for you..

:smash: darn puters any way

Was just there and it was up...Main thing is not to pound any kinks into the metal..this will create a crack in the workpiece....basics is to start at the inside and work back and forth up the tuck until you get to the edge..Gotta hit it hard to get the metal to crush into itself..I find for me it is best to take small tucks and crush them then go back make some more tucks and crush them til you get the right shape..as long as one does not pound in a kink the metal can be worked until the correct shape is obtained..The best way for me to learn this is to just go beat on it till I get it to work for me..:mwink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone,

I finally was able to get into metal meet today and had a look around. Looks like another good source of info. I had a read of the tuck shrinking stuff there and that anwered a lot of questions and showed why I wasn't getting the results I thought I should have.

The videos on the tuck shrinking sound like a good thing and I'd like to have a look.

Kev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts