Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,can anybody help me to tune my astrovan 96 with the new software I bougth from tunercat?
Last year I did a v8 swap on my 96 astro. I put on a rebuild engine with a 96 vortec injection on it with the stock pcm from a 96 vortec truck.The engine came with 64cc vortec heads and a cam from comp cams extreme energy 268XE [email protected]" 224I/230E,lift:.477"I/480"E,lobe seperation:110.
At the moment the van is running with the stock V8 pcm ,but not very great, that's the reason I want to tune it now. Is there anybody who has expirience to tune with the software of tunercat? I don't know witch parameters I have to change for my application.
Thanks on advance

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I have not used tuner cat, but EFI is pretty much EFI. You will likely need to work on the timing and fuel tables. That is where you would see the biggest benifits. Basically, you have to drive the truck and see where you have performance issues. You should be able to see or log if the engine is running rich or lean in these areas. My guess is it will be lean in alot of areas because the new cam is going to make the engine use more air and will need more fuel to compensate.

The whole problem with tuning EFI is that you need a WBO2 sensor to properly tune the AFR. The factory NBO2 will tell you if it is rich or lean, but it will not tell you how rich or lean it is. The engine should almost always show rich when under acceleration and should be right in the middle of the NB range while idling(when warm, rich when cold). The problem with NB is that you dont know how rich it is and it could be actually running too lean.

I would suggest doing some reading on EFI tuning theory. There is alot involved, but it is not hard if you understand how the system works.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.