Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!
I have a nice Edelbrock SBC street tunnel ram 2X4 manifold that im going to put on my street rod (chopped Model A) this winter. I have 2 Edelbrock carbs ..both 600 cfm but 2 different models...A 1405(manual choke) and A 1406(elec. choke).
My problem is (besides being over carbed..lol!!) how should I calibrate these carbs to work as well as can be expected on the street? And should I make them both manual choke or....??

THANKS...Unk

·
Registered
45 Posts
the biggest thing to make sure is both carbs have the same jet sizes. Another idea could be set the rear carb in a progressive linkage setup and use the elec choke carb as the primary.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info .I got in touch with Edelbrock about using the progressive linkage a while ago and they said don't do it...it will cause a lean condition in 4 of the cylinders! true ..false??
should I lean out the carbs a bunch?
Anyone have any jetting specifics??

UNK

·
Registered
45 Posts
without knowing all the ins and outs of you vech and motor combination jetting would be a total guess. Always start from factory carb settings and move up or down depending on how the motor reacts. If you are running a large open plentum top t ram then I personally don't see why you would run into a lean problem. Done it before with out any problems. If it is a small plentum then yes you could have a lean cyl issue.
The 1-1 throttle linkage would be the easiest to set up.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My Edelbrock street ram has a fairly small plenum...I have one of the early models with the oil fill tube but I think the street plenum stayed the same size regardless of year. My 2 Edelbrock 500 CFM carbs were terribly rich out of the box. A needle swap was not enough, they needed a jet drop...maybe 2 steps and then the appropriate needles. They are very easy to work on. I'd just call Edelbrock tech and ask them to give you a starting point based on your specifics. I don't need the choke to fire her up...a couple 3 pumps of the pedal will give you quite a pump shot since you have 2 and she will fire right up even when cold. The joys of a hotted up ignition- quick starts!

·
Registered
41 Posts
2x4

i dont no how mine is going to work out i buoght two new holley's from summit 450 cfm hopefully not to have two much trounle on my 350 tunnel ram both matched cost was not bad good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think the 450 holleys will be no problem at all. For a street setup those are usually the carbs I reccomend to my customers box stock the are usually close.

·
Registered
25 Posts
$$$ how much

I am building a 460 in a 32 ford. I would love to put on a tunnel ram. This is pretty mild street setup. So how bad can I expect fuel mileage to be?

·
Registered
45 Posts
that will depend on how you drive it and how much carb you put on it. 2 450 holleys = 900 cfm. If you run a 850 on a high rise single plane my guess would be tip for tat in reguards twords economy. If you run a duel plane and a 750 the 750 setup would be much better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts